Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

>50% of hotel accommodation in Donegal is occupied

Options
  • 30-03-2023 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭

Heard this statistic on the radio yesterday, that over half of hotel beds in the county are occupied by refugees or asylum seekers.

Its something which will have a huge effect on tourism this summer surely?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, but it was probably a similar % last year.

The future pipeline of re-openings in the NW of the county might help a bit but I don't know if any will make 2023 - Sweeneys in Dungloe (nearly done), Seaview in Bunbeg (meant to have started) and the Ostan Gweedore (this will be a huge job even though its only shut 7 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was in Bunbeg today, Seaview is looking very smart (on the outside anyway), Dodge nightclub is having a major refurb, and Ostán Gweedore looks worse than ever - the only difference i can see from last time I was there is more broken windows and fencing up around the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Honesty Policy

This figure really annoyed me...The only way I could fund my way through college was to work in hospitality, along with the majority of local young people here.

Then the amount of accommodation that was given over to house refugees and so couldn't house students.

Also, the amount of private houses that I know of who served notice on their tenants or had tenants move out by choice and had Ukrainians in to replace them and the landlord being paid an extortionate amount of money, is just criminal. There is no where to rent around here either.

Donegal is buckling.

I also know of schools that have 20-30% increase in their class sizes in the last year.

Then I'm hearing of the schools that have had their building works stalled at the 11th hour. A lot of Gaelscoils, funny that!

God this government are so anti Irish people, it makes me sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mods note: Comments need to about local issues and not government policies. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

funny I was talking to a business owner near me and mentioned our numbers were down for an event we have on. hi answer was there's no accommodation.

I can't prove it and it could just be a natural cycle for an event we held 10 times before. who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Whats the story with Bundoran? I took a spin over to Bundy in February, very few places open. I was there again the week before Easter week. It still looked bleak with a lot of retail units closed. Is the Bundoran as we knew it, in decline?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Haven't been through bundoran in a while, it's probably just like a lot of places, struggling to survive when folk are watching their spending.

It was always a summer town anyway, and often dead out of season, but you'd have expected Easter to be busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Was in Bundoran recently. Parts look run down on the way in. Town was packed and so was the beach. Pubs all busy. Looked to be doing well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bundoran has looked a bit run down on the ways in for my entire lifetime, realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Now that the summer is over, I wonder how the local tourist economy did?

Anecdotally, I think there was a noticeable decline in tourist numbers, but I'm only basing that on seeing them about, overhearing them in shops, restaurants etc. Nothing scientific!

But with so many hotel and B&B beds gone, it was to be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

No idea but I assume more hotels will be closed for tourism now the summer season is over . The Clanree announced it would be housing refugees from September 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

The hotels, or what's left of them, will be the ruination of rural Ireland. Strong statement maybe, but based on what is being heard on the ground.

Take Westport for example. The hotels have become so expensive that it's pricing the Irish visitors out. The hotels are therefore getting foreign visitors such as American or European. No problem for the hotel, they fill the rooms. However, it's all the other businesses that suffer. As we all know, American and European tourists won't keep the pubs and restaurants open, nor the taxis. There are 4 pubs in Westport planning on closing over the winter.

Closer to home, there's a rumour that the only hotel in killybegs catering for tourists is to be sold to a company supplying accommodation for refugees. If that happens in a village of that size then there are no tourist facilities.

It's shocking what's happening and as usual Paddy lies down and takes it...

Advertisement