Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will ESBN force smart meter?

Options
  • 30-03-2023 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to book a solar install for next month...just finalising quote details.

The house is a late 70s build, so no earth rod, or bonding.

The solar price is competitive, so I think I will be going with it. The solar company came back with a price of €500 to do the earth rod and bonding. Tails also need to be done, but no price on that until their electrician has a look at it. I am thinking less than €200 for the tails to be run from the CU to meter box (5M on same wall). I hope that price seems about right, does it?

So, ESBN will then have to come out and connect the tails. I would also want the main fuse upgraded from the 60/80 to 100. The solar guys won't turn on the system until ESBN do the tails, but are happy to install and have everything ready to be activated once ESBN complete the upgrade.

Will ESBN try to force a smart meter install and can I refuse it? Also what do they charge now for connecting new tails?

I have a D/N meter and I use most of my electricity at night rate, so a smart meter would be a terrible deal for me.

Stay Free

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

70s had earthrod and bonding usually 6sq

What fuse do you want upgraded

Changing main fuses means upgrading supply

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They aren't upgrading people with D/N metres to smart meter yet so doubt they would force one on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I'm pretty sure there is no earth rod on the build. I checked the boiler, cylinder, under sink and the gas meter. No bonding to be seen. I will double check this weekend, but I had a look yesterday and saw no bonding at all.

I was hoping to have the main fuse upgraded in the meter box upgraded. I thought this would be done if tails are upgraded from 10sq to 16sq. Is there another requirement?

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

What's your issue with a smart meter - please don't say you believe the crap spouted that they are dodgy.

I've a smart meter and have been able to change habits and reduce my bills to below last year even with the massive price increases.

Think about it - the people spouting crap seem to be the same eejits that were against a COVID vaccine, against 5g, against immigration, against windfarms, against whatever they come up with next.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They specific in their opening post that they have day/night rate; which is not offered on smart meters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

We average 20kWh per day in my house. 60-70 percent of that is used on night rate. We charge the EVs and use washing machine and dish washer at night. A smart meter would result in much higher bills. I know nothing of their reliability, only that I don't want one. I'm getting solar and soon after battery storage which I can charge at night rate and supplement the expensive day rate electricity.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

Tails upgrade means full installation test and certification, 50 year old wiring ,, that it’s self will be a miracle if it tests ok , but look ,if a company is happy to cut corners just to get to the next job , nothing new there , make sure you get a full test record sheet , it could be needed later ,

Advertisement