Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European destination in July

Options
  • 27-03-2023 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sister is coming in from SF this summer and wants to spend her 60th birthday in Europe somewhere in early July.

I'm looking for some advice n where to go that won't be way too hot so I'm thinking somewher on Atlantic coast. Madeira flights are awkard so won't suit so was thinking of the Canarys or northern Spain - Santander?. The won would have to be tack free, have a old town, close enough to airport - less than 1 hour - and have a nice beach.

Not much to ask for I know. 😛

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hungry4k

San Sebastián and biaritz tick all the boxes. Much shorter flight that canaries, way less tacky and lovely beaches. Fly to Santander or biaritz with Ryanair or Bilbao with aerlingus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Vigo, though I don't think you can fly direct any more. First time I went via Madrid, second time direct but Ryanair pulled those flights

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Cant go wrong with Lanzarote. Guaranteed weather and it wont cost you a small mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭noahungry

Oh, wow, Lanzarote looks amazing! I can't say I've heard of it before, but it's definitely on my list now. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

It's one of the Canary islands very popular with Brits and Irish. About 4 hour flight from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You didn't mention budget but if it's not too tight the Cote D'Azur is a very attractive option.

Flights to Nice and then you don't need a car, buses and train will get you around.

Between Nice and Monaco there's Villefranche Sur Mer and Beaulieu Sur Mer.

Lot's of good restaurants and beaches.

Days out to Cannes, St Tropez, Monaco even hop over into Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Good options and advice but it might be worth just noting for the OP that in July you are looking at daily average temperatures of around 28° along the Côte D’Azur…. A time I was there it well into the 30’s and very much impacted the level of ‘active’ that was achievable during the day. Just depends on their ‘not way too hot’ thoughts…. Brilliant spot for the reasons you’ve outlined though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Discod

France > Cannes, St Tropez

Italy > Tropea

Spain > Mallorca

Greek islands

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Thanks guys for all your input. Ive researched temperatures and the Atlantic coast is the safest for heat. Although the Canarys is a good option I think that Porto and the nearby seaside area of Masinihos (?) is ideal. Not expensive authentic, beaches, not to hot and not far from Airport. Also taxi to Porto from there is about a tenner.

Thanks all - I hope it works out but always difficult when I haven't been there and relying on Tripadvisor et al for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Good luck Matosinhos is a good choice.

A boat trip on the Douro River would be nice or you can just take the local ferry for a couple of euro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement