Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Kuga PHEV

Options
  • 26-03-2023 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

hello,

if anyone has a Kuga PHEV , can you give some opinions on it such as what the economy is like when NOT using EV , is it very thirsty ?

also looking for opinions on what it’s like in general , are they reliable and if any issues encountered.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Anyone have a Kuga PHEV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is this a company car your considering? There's bik advantages, after that unless your using night rate electricity or have access to free charging not sure I could recommend a phev right now.

I've a phev not a Kuga but it'll be thirstier than other Kuga's due to the extra weight.

Seems to be no break in electric prices on the horizon which makes them expensive to run, mines got an 18.8kWh battery that gives about 70km of electric range. Paying .49 for electricity which is just over €9 for the 70km. Last electricity bill was over €800 it hasn't been plugged in since.

As a money saving exercise the diesel or petrol are worth doing your sums on.

Thanks for the info. No, not a company car. I was just looking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Paying .49 for electricity which is just over €9 for the 70km.

If you have an EV you should have a night rate tariff and it would be alot cheaper to run and certainly cheaper per km than petrol/diesel.

You have a crap rate.

Doing a lot of washing/drying late at night doesn't suit every house especially with kids, we use a lot during the day as well with wfh.

Government aren't serious about climate change just looks like downright theft for non night rate users. Diesel now cheaper than petrol as well, Who are they kidding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Doing a lot of washing/drying late at night doesn't suit every house especially with kids, we use a lot during the day as well with wfh.

You don’t need to do that if you don’t want to.

If you have an EV you should be on a day/night tariff. The exception would be that you are doing very small mileage that the slightly higher day rate/standing charge would make it a bad idea but other than that it is better to be on a d/n tariff if you have an EV.

Putting the washing on at night is just a bonus, if you want to, but not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

lots of rates cheaper with any of the providers using a smart/standard/night meter, 49 cent is ridiculously high rate to be paying,

50 euro to cancel your current plan,

Looking at the ford website, the hybrid is 1500e more than the phev, usually its the other way around, 11.5 kWh useable battery, only experience I had was with the Mitsubishi outlander 2 litre, that was 40 mpg, on 300 km trips, another 300 km on battery trips brings the average up to 80 mpg.

The only thing I remember about the kuga phev, when they came out first was that they were hot, so hot they caught fire when charging, a recall I believe fixed that problem.

I just checked it again there now, I'm wrong on the 49cent, think it's working out at .36cent after discounts if i'm calculating it correctly. Bonkers or switcher not offering any better.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I’ve decided that I am not going to go for a Kuga mostly due to the small boot size and the slow charging time.

the standard ford warranty is also pretty **** (5yrs/100,000kms)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Did you take one for a spin? I have one from new since July 2021 and am really happy with it. Really comfortable to drive, generous amount of space and a decent size boot (over 500L I think). Nippy enough as well especially in Sport mode (if you enjoy putting the foot down every so often).

I don’t do huge mileage but given I was coming from a 1.6 petrol qashqai I find it very economical. Don’t be at the petrol station anywhere near as much as I used to be. Also it’s cheaper to fill. There was one recall on it but Ford sorted the issue swiftly enough. You know yourself with a Ford you’re getting something fairly reliable and not overly expensive for service or repairs.

I got the €5,000 government grant and 0% finance so it was an easy choice for me to make. I don’t think it quite as attractive now as the grant is halved I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Friends have one, charge at night, all electric driving on school runs, shops etc. and for the occasional trip across the country burn petrol.

For them it's best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Im currently looking at changing to the Kuga PHEV. Coming from a 141 Mondeo and just not doing the mileage anymore. I have lots of short runs with the kids so the 70km range would definitely suit me. Hoping to take one for a spin next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm picking one up on Monday. Nice car. I'm in a similar boat. Lots of short drives

I got the titanium phev. Picking it up today

202 reg so still 4 1/2 years warranty left

Congrats! Let me know your thoughts on it, if you dont mind.

4 days on and I'm very impressed

290 km on electric and 20km on petrol.

Comfortable to drive . Forgot to turn off the engine today and came back to it still running. Note to self. . check the power flow😆

Will take it for a drive to Dingle tomorrow to see how it does.

Got my Zappi installed today and was able to do another 30 km on today's solar charge

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Can you run turn off the engine or will it kick in if you floor the accelerator like most phev?

I can drive in EV mode only . The engine kicks in when the battery is empty.

I can also choose, hybrid or engine( saves battery for later)

• Advertisement

So test drove one of these for the last 2 days. Have to say its an amazing drive compared to my diesel Mondeo. Brining it back in today and will start the conversation around the cost to change. That should be fun.

Can you let me know what Zappi you got and what the cost was, if you dont mind? Looks like Ill be making the change sooner rather than later.

Got a zappi charger in last week 1500 before grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Shop around, €1500 is on the high end unless it’s a complex install.

It actually wasn't that high. Another well known company in cork was asking 1585 plus vat 😕

The zappi is nearly a thousand on its own.

Went with a local guy who had a lot of recommendations on the solar FB group. happy with the work done.

Plenty price gouging going on for Zappi installs. There is better value out there but you need to shop around.

Im hoping to pick up the Kuga next month, so i think investing in a proper charger is essential now. Here comes the fun part now of shopping around!

Take some photos of your consumer unit (fusebox) and location where you want the charger fitted. Email them off to multiple installers and see what you get back. (Include the distance from the consumer unit and a possible cable route if you can)

Im actually lucky enough in that Ive a fusebox literally inside the back door of the house, and another small one inside the shed. So I could potentially put a charger unit on the shed wall. Ill start to price around. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

All, just bumping the thread to get some more opinions on how the Kuga PHEV is running for you now? Happy? Running efficiently? Happy with the drive of the car?

I'm considering a 2020 ST-X.

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement

Not much going on in any of the phev/hybrid threads, it must be that they are busy with break downs, timing belt changes every month, spending thousands on fuel and electricity and cannot afford to turn on their computers or maybe they are happy with their purchase.😁

I know next to nothing about the kuga, a few nice things to look for on an phev, is heating without the engine running, 7 kw charging not necessary but nice, then its just charge it and drive it, more you charge the better economy and expect to use some petrol, and night rate electricity.

Advertisement