Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options
  • 26-03-2023 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭

Munster Championship

• Clare
    • Cork
    • Limerick
    • Tipperary 
    • Waterford 

Round 1- Sun 23rd April

Waterford vs Limerick

Clare vs Tipperary

Cork Bye 

Round 2- Sat 29th April/Sun 30th April

Limerick vs Clare (Sat 29th)

Cork vs Waterford (Sun 30th)

Tipperary Bye

Round 3- Sat 6th May/Sat 13th May

Cork vs Tipperary (Sat 6th)

Waterford vs Clare (Sat 13th)

Limerick Bye 

Round 4- Sun 21st May

Clare vs Cork

Tipperary vs Limerick

Waterford Bye 

Round 5- Sun 28th May

Tipperary vs Waterford

Limerick vs Cork

Clare Bye 

Munster Final- Sun 11th June 1st Place vs 2nd Place-2pm

Leinster Championship

• Antrim
    • Dublin
    • Galway
    • Kilkenny
    • Westmeath
    • Wexford

Round 1-Sat 22nd April

Antrim vs Dublin

Galway vs Wexford

Kilkenny vs Westmeath

Round 2-Sat 29th April/Sun 30th April

Wexford vs Antrim (Sat 29th)

Dublin vs Westmeath (Sat 29th)

Kilkenny vs Galway (Sun 30th)

Round 3- Sat 6th May/Sun 7th May

Dublin vs Wexford (Sat 6th)

Westmeath vs Galway (Sat 6th)

Antrim vs Kilkenny (Sun 7th)

Round 4- Sat 20th May/Sun 21st May

Kilkenny vs Dublin (Sat 20th)

Galway vs Antrim (Sat 20th)

Wexford vs Westmeath (Sun 21st)

Round 5- Sun 28th May

Wexford vs Kilkenny

Dublin vs Galway

Antrim vs Westmeath

Leinster Final- Sun 11th June- 1st Place vs 2nd Place-4pm

(6th place team in Leinster Championship relagated to Joe Mcdonagh Cup for 2024, exception if Kerry win the Joe Mcdonagh Cup and will go into the Munster Championship for 2024 with no team been relagated from Leinster)

All Ireland Prelimary QFs- Sat 17th/Sun 18th June- Joe Mcdonagh Cup Winners vs 3rd Leinster Championship, Joe Mcdonagh Cup Runners Up vs 3rd Munster

All Ireland QFS- Sat 24th June- Munster Runner Up vs PR winner, Leinster Runner Up vs PR Winner 

All Ireland Semi Finals - Sat 8th/Sun 9th July- Leinster Winners vs QF Winner, Munster Winners vs QF Winner

All Ireland Final- Sun 23rd July

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Think Cork could win it this year. Said the last two years, Cork v Limerick is going to become a huge battle in coming years. Limerick are the number one team, but Cork are the coming team. Limerick big and physical, Cork quick and skillful

Not as clued up as some on Cork hurling, but some of their players I seen in underage games were phenomenal the last couple of years.

Hurling generally goes in cycles between the big 3 and Cork have been down a long time. Surely a cycle of Cork dominance is on the horizon in coming years?

Which can be only be good for the game. As good as Limerick and Kilkenny were, they played some turgid, physical and dogmatic hurling at times. Be good to see Corks more skillful and technical game win out. Cork is where the most natural hurlers come from imo

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

😁😁 Wind up merchant. Cork won't be winning any all Ireland in the next few years. Every year for the last few years we hear this garbage. They wouldn't go in to a dark room that lot. Cork need a total clean out and start picking men with a few cojonas and a bit of steel, mabye then you might be taken seriously 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Losing the league semi finals was the best thing for both Cork and Tipp. Every man woman and child from Tipperary needs to be at the game in Thurles against Limerick. No more talk of transition, building a team etc, it's time to get stuck in !

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Cork are coming again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Munster prediction -

Munster Champions - Limerick

Losing Munster finalists - Tipperary

3rd Place - Clare

Leinster Prediction -

Leinster Champions - Kilkenny

Losing Leinster finalists - Galway

3rd Place - Wexford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

This ‘blowing smoke up cork’s wholes’ stuff has to be a wind up…….very little to back it up…..plenty of average hurlers on the team and this ‘cork produces the most skilful hurlers’ talk is even more laughable/bollocks……….🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Limerick to be too good for the rest yet again. They seem best suited to cope with any type of opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Limerick are truly a great team, they are well placed to win again this year. They will do the five in a row at least and maybe even 6.

I think limerick clare and cork get out of munster, Cats Galway and Wexford out of leinster.

Limerick and cats in the final. Kilkenny will put up a good showing like the great hurling County they are but Limerick are untouchable at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Waterford will be the biggest danger to Limerick this year like they were last year.

Davy will be the difference this year and get them over the line for the first time since 1959.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭billyhead

That's how I would predict it in terms of teams coming out of Munster and Leinster although I think it will be a Cork Limerick final with Limerick to get over the line again.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭letsseehere14

I think if one thing can be taken from the last few years is each year is different from the last. I cant see things going the same as last year for a few reasons with one being because its exactly how last year went.

Galway won Leinster in 2018 and didnt get out of the RR in 2019, then gave Limerick their closest game in 2020. Tipp didnt get out of Munster in 18 but went unbeaten in the RR and won the All Ireland in 19. Cork won Munster in 18, but never developed on, were supposedly born again in 2021 until the AI final and have followed that supposed form up with next to nothing and wilted back to their pre 2021 form last year. Clare x 2, Limerick x 2, Cork and Tipp have all reached Munster finals through the Round Robin Series. I honestly cannot see all the same teams advancing from each province again this year as last year and cant see the same AI final either.

I think there'll be a twist and turn along the way and the closer it gets the more I feel Waterford may have played the league differently than the rest, Dublin will have a say at home to Wexford and Tipp could easily hit Munster just as hard as Clare did last year. Kilkenny are most peoples 2nd team, mine included based on last year but I have doubts about where they might actually be this year, TJ is a year older, their league was very so-so and Cork were so poor its hard to know how good theyll be. But then I have no idea where Clare, Wexford, Waterford or Galway are either with how they performed in the league other than they're a damn sight better than they've shown us.

Its really all up in the air this year which could mean the makings of a great championship. By Sunday evening on the 23rd we'll have at least an idea of 4 form 5 Munster teams and 2 from Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The Joe McDonagh Cup is also part of the All-Ireland championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

As a Waterford supporter it's hard not too dispise the format where by far we're the worst of the so called 'big teams'. Even Dublin managed to get out of Leinster in 2019

It's crazy when 3 'big teams' are sitting on there arses at the start of June and the Joe McDonagh Runners Up are in the All Ireland series to be essentially hammered by the 3rd placed team from Munster/Leinster. The Joe McDonagh Winners do deserve a place but their main objective is achieved by then

If only they could do a stand alone knockout Munster/Leinster Championships and then have a open draw for the Robin Robin using seeds from the Provincial championships

Waterford have to finish above two of their rivals. It is not beyond Waterford.

The current league format would actually suit the championship. Only teams in the All-Ireland 12 should be allowed compete in knockout provincial championships. Provincial winners and runners-up could be seeded 1 and 2. Everyone else seeded on league ranking. 2 groups of 6. Group winners into All-Ireland semi-finals. 2nd and 3rd into quarter-finals. 6th placed teams into relegation final.

I don't think provincial councils will be in a rush to dispense with the provincial round robins though. They are getting good crowds. The only way they would possibly allow the All-Ireland group stage instead is if a so-called big team was unexpectedly relegated. Unlikely to happen anytime soon however.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,529 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"I think if one thing can be taken from the last few years is each year is different from the last. I cant see things going the same as last year for a few reasons with one being because its exactly how last year went"

Completely agree. Every year seems to have an anointed "only team can match Limerick" and every year it's someone else. Waterford are suddenly crap now and Clare great cause of last year but by the time the Munster final comes people could be talking the poisoned " 2nd of 3" for Waterford with Clare already out.

Galway have also been very season on season off recently too. Interesting to see can Shefflin change that but the league didn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

What's your point? The OP has covered that and explained exactly where it comes in. Feel free to offer pearls of wisdom on the upcoming Joe McDonagh championship if you would like to.

That's actually what worries me about Galway, very much under the radar, Shefflin is a very clever bucko and he knows that Galway more than most can get ahead of themselves and the hype machine goes into overdrive, no fear of that this year and they have the luxury of only really needing to peak for the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It's quite evidently true. Since KKs dominance, which was built on physicality and being dogmatic, most teams have gone down that road, to an even greater extent.

Watching Cork, this clearly isn't the case. Don't see how anyone could argue that, they're the only team playing a technical game, built on skill, speed and vision, that didn't go down the road the rest did.

Since their re-emergence as a genuinely competitive team, they've struggled to get the better of the physical teams, which is obvious, but we will get to the point where they will learn and grow in their own game from playing these teams, adapt where they need to, and finally get the better of them.

Going forward, we've Cork playing one style, the rest a variation of a completely contrasting style. When Cork get it right and put it all together, we could see a few hammerings for the others.

Skill, speed and technical skill, when executed properly, will always trump negative styles. In patches Cork have blitzed the rest in phases, even Limerick, it's a case of consistency now, with a bit of added quality which is coming through for them.

My post wasn't a wind up at all, can't understand how a neutral wouldn't want Cork to succeed, when what the others produce is clearly less aesthetically pleasing.

And you have to commend Cork for sticking to their guns, and sticking to their own game, when they could of gone down the road the others did. It's commendable they don't want to just win, but to do it playing the right way

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭hurlaway

Hardly a lot of hurling skill in running around and throwing the ball

• Advertisement

I like you!

Do you do stand up as well or is it just written comedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Grats

Every county have their share of very skillful and physical players. If Cork don't have that mix well then they should concentrate on tiddlywinks. They did try various cheating tactics at times, such as tampering with sliotars, and had their share of "physical"players in the past.

They'll be waiting a while yet if they think any county team worth their salt is going to stand back and watch Cork players throw the ball around and walk it into the net.

Tis a far cry from the blood and bandages days.

Tipp, cork and Limerick to come out of munster, in no particular order.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭C4000

I'd go Limerick, Clare, Tipp. Clare based on trusting that they're capable of rediscovering their form from last years munster championship....they were outstanding in that and topped the group.

OK, I'll swap clare for Limerick. The wheels are coming off that camp big time. Fighting among themselves over money now it seems.

If Kerry win the McDonagh, the 6th team in Leinster will still be relegated. The provincial championships will have 11 teams. If Munster has 6, Leinster has 5. If Leinster has 6, Munster has 5. The 6th placed team in the 6 team championship will always be relegated following the congress vote a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Thought that was scrapped and both provincials would have 6 teams if Kerry do win ???

The Joe McDonagh will be very competitive this year, Laois, Offaly and Kerry could all beat each other on any given day. Then if Kildare bring in there league form they could be right in the mix

If Kerry win the McDonagh, they will be automatically promoted to Munster. Munster will then have 6 teams for a year. Leinster will have 5 and no relegation. The 6th placed Munster team is then relegated. Leinster returns to 6 teams.

On current form it will be Laois, Offaly and Kildare battling for the final spots. The McDonagh has been a very exciting competition in recent years.

The McDonagh final will be a curtain raiser to the U20 final at the end of May. The McDonagh finalists will have 3 weeks to prepare for an All-Ireland preliminary quarter-final this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,529 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The championship is still set at 11 teams so 1 Leinster goes down.

Advertisement