Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei B818 no longer picking up 4G+ with 3 SIM

Options
  • 25-03-2023 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi, hope someone can advise if I'm missing something simple here.

Have a Huawei B818 router with 3 PAYG SIM. Download speeds have approximately halved in the last couple of weeks which means it's much less useable in the evenings compared to before. Daytime is still generally ok as the network is less busy.

Noticed that it's no longer showing 4G+ (carrier aggregation) when I check the signal in the Huawei app, which I think must be contributing to the slower speeds. I'm certain it was 4G+ previously.

Have tried looking at LTE H-Monitor and it's showing all download bands are selected and the network mode is set to auto - photo attached. (As an aside, I have tried forcing it to single bands also but it always comes back up with all bands selected again for some reason).

Is there anything I can do to get it aggregating the cells again? Would be great if it was a simple fix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I agree there seam to be speed drop for last day or two(no 4+), at least on one of my routers. Didn't dig into it , but read there was(is?) 5G outage ...

Today my phone registered 5G but speeds were crap(~30DL) standing 100m from mast. Likely fault on three side...

note: free version of LTE H does not store your settings.

Weird indeed.

one B818 has no 4+ and speed ~ 1/3 . DL maintain steady phase... like it would be capped ?

The second B818 has 4+ and speeds just about usual

Both connecting to same mast/cell. Change APN makes no difference.

One difference between them is that one is from amz (unlocked) - this one has no 4+ . The other one was sold to me as "ex" Three - still unlocked, no FW branding so not sure about this part.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Thanks @smuggler.ie . Our phones are able to pick up 5G still. Would 5G have an impact on whether the router picks up 4G+ or not? I'm a bit clueless on how this works tbh. Thought the aggregation just meant it picked up multiple 4G cells at the same time.

I bought my router from CEX second hand. It's fully unlocked with no carrier branding.

Recovered

Force upload to B1(2100) - 4G+ returned

Force back into B3(1800) - 4G+ remain, speed good

Try solution described above. If B1 not available for you, try any other , B20.

DL bands selection "ALL" is irrelevant, unless you want to limit yourself. ALL mean all that available, but in ROI its B1,B3,B20 in most cases anyway

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Advertisement

Fantastic, thanks @smuggler.ie . That has worked for me also. Speeds have doubled compared to what they were just a few mins ago.

Only thing is I've to keep it on B1 as it doesn't retain 4G+ if I revert to B3. Is there a downside to this?

I didn't actually have to buy the LTE H-Monitor licence either. I copped from one of your screen shots that I hadn't first selected Manual under the LTE band mode.

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

I use free version too. As said, settings will not stay - you might need to act on it again , i have to once in a while.

Not sure what was the cause of all this, but as long it works... B1 is second best band for me. I use external antennas on both sets, do you? What is your "usual" speed ?

Ok cool, I'll keep an eye on it and switch back if it drops again.

I'm not using external antennas. I do have one that I bought a few years ago for a B535 but I don't have the adapters for it to fit the B818. Think I also read somewhere that it would actually reduce my speeds due to not being compatible for MIMO or something.

B535 has SMA connectors, to make use of it(antenna) on B818 you need some like this. Perhaps worth a try for a tenner if antenna is already mounted.

Signal degradation posible due to cable length - keep it within 10m. Also, connections need to be firm - screw them tight(not crazy tight !)

The antenna I have is something similar to the one linked below so it may be almost useless. Don't think it made any improvement for the B535.

35dBi SMA 4G LTE Antenna, SMA Antenna Indoor Network Antenna with Dual Mimo SMA Male Connectors, 2M Extension Cable and 2 Suction Cups for MiFi Mobile Broadband Hotspot Wireless Router Huawei ZTE https://amzn.eu/d/7VHT1x9

• Advertisement

As you predicted @smuggler.ie , it dropped back to regular 4G already so had to force it back by selecting B1 for upload again. Do you know if the paid version of LTE H-Monitor keep it locked to B1?

missed that one.

Paid version, as far i can see, will retain and will re-apply your settings. This does not guaranty that connection will be seamless - during band change you loose connection for a moment (bad if you use work related , VPN etc.) Also, software will have to run 24/7 - either you have computer for that purpose or you will have to install it directly on router. I would not pay.

Band drop might indicate insuficient signal quality - router goes for better, whitch is B20 i guess.

Consider re-locating router and/or get external (propper) antenna.

Ah ok, thanks @smuggler.ie . That makes sense alright. Was thinking I'd need to keep the program, and the therefore also the laptop, running constantly.

The signal strength drops from 4 bars to 3 bars when I force the UL to B1 from B3. I'll try moving the router around to other locations again to see if it would be more stable.

It's just annoying as it was working great in this spot up until a couple of weeks ago with 4G+. Can't understand what has changed.

If B3 is that your router switch to and loose CA, try to force other bands(upload) : B8, B20, B28 , one after another. See if B3 keep CA after that.

Today I rotated the router slightly in it's current spot. It seems to have increased the signal strength slightly, and CA has also stayed longer.

If it drops back again I'll definitely try forcing the other bands like you suggested. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭shmeee

@smuggler.ie brought me here from a post on other thread.

I'm running a three SIM on a 3 Prepay 20 plan in a B535 router and I'm getting 4g+ signal, 5 bars majority of the time. Checked it most of the evening since smuggler asked the question. And was 4g+ all evening and still is. Speeds drop in evening time to 20mbps the last few nights, but during the day it's 60-80mbps and need this as WFH connected to remote desktop, wired into Router. And never drops.

On band 20. Only have Mac's in house so can't install the monitoring app as mentioned above to force bands. Tried a few scripts etc via the router but none worked so open to ideas? Band 3 also on the local cell as per cell mapper.

In realtion to you mentioning moving the router, I've tried maybe 20 locations in the house and still trying to find the perfect spot. At present beside a glass door, 4 foot off floor, facing the mast 5km away on the hill with no obstacles on route in line of sight.

Looking at external antenna but as smuggler said, 10m max cable length to router and that could be issue as big distance from centre of house to attic and it's solid concrete walls and floors. So might need to wire router into coms room with cable straight down ducting from attic and then cat 5 from there to various points in the house, as coms room is a black hole for signal out from a router, so some research and work required.

Tbh I'm no expert so I'm not sure if I can add a whole lot to help. Was your evening speed better than 20mbps up until recently? I'd say it's fairly normal for speeds to drop as much as you are seeing in the evenings due to the higher traffic. Was 60-80mbps always the max you were getting during the day, or is that a reduced speed that you're seeing recently? That's similar to the best daytime speeds I see and my best evening speeds are 20-40.

Might be a dumb question, but how do you know you are on band 20 or band 3 without LTE H-Monitor or similar? Are you basing it off what your phone's own mobile connection is reporting using cellmapper? If so, that may not be accurate as your phone may be using different bands than the router.

There seems to be a few alternatives to LTE H-Monitor. Some you may be able to get on your phone, e.g. huaCtrl Pro. No idea if they work well or not though.

In relation to positioning the router - for me it even helped by simply rotating the router in it's current spot. Worth a shot!

For the external antenna, could you place it on the external wall near where you said has the best signal and line of sight to the mast? Then bring the cable in through the wall and place the router just inside the wall. This would keep the cabling nice and short.

you can: run VM(virtual machine) on your mac that run win with LTE monitor.

LAN and WiFi distribution is separate/secondary task and there are means to achieve that

Your speed drop does not seam to be 4G+ related - i would monitor/record cell ID's to see if related to switching to another mast/cell

i can relate speed drop during peak hours to congestion - mine can drop by 30-40% at bad times.

Speed measure should be done on cable connection directly to router and no other devices connected to eliminate possible LAN/WiFi factors

Your 60-80 @5km distance is not bad, with LoS i would consider directional antenna

• Advertisement

Might be a dumb question, but how do you know you are on band 20 or band 3 without LTE H-Monitor or similar? Are you basing it off what your phone's own mobile connection is reporting using cellmapper? If so, that may not be accurate as your phone may be using different bands than the router.

This info available on router interface directly, or through view-source:http://<your router IP>/api/device/signal

Advertisement