Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False widows being hunted

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Found this outside today, is it a false widow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

We were infested with false widows. both in our old house and in our new one.

In the old house the shed was full of them and similar to the accounts above I noticed a few very big wolf spiders in the garage one day and much fewer false widows. Most of the false widows I had seen after the wolf spiders moved in moved outside. Only to be seen at the edges of the windows.

Found a spider as big as my had in the bath a couple of years ago. Never saw one so big in my life. If I were a false widow I would be running away from that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bleaks

Was fly spraying the little vents around my windows earlier and out popped a family of false widows. I sprayed them with raid and any egg nests that were on the windows too in a bit of a panic. Hoping there isn't an infest in my house now as then I found a little bugger on the inside that was feeding on a bluebottle with the strewn corpse of a daddy long legs not far away (that I thought were predators to false widows, but obviously not this one).

Is there any deterrents I can use to put on windowsills inside the house!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

So my auld spider finally came to the junction of **** around and find out. 🙈 I now have the biggest false widow I've ever seen moved onto his patch.

Due to the location I had to try send the FW on his way but they are fast buggers.

Gave up and just dismantled the web. No doubt I'll find the FW hiding under something else shortly. I did dispatch a few more FW whilst I was out there but doing some work in the garden today it was good to see a nice healthy selection of native spiders about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement