Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Links to Freeware Downloads

Options
  • 24-03-2023 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi!

I have discovered a few freeware URLs and wish to share them here on this forum for the benefit of all. That is why I went and registered here.

I would be grateful if other people can give their links also, in the event that I've missed anything.

I have these links for freeware text editors, word processors, spreadsheets, presentation creators and database systems:

1. SoftMaker FreeOffice

2. ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors

3. LibreOffice

4. Atlantis Word Processor

5. Polaris Office Web

6. TextPad

7. EditPad

8. Notepad++

9. Google Workspace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 yufettodes

I also have some links for freeware CAD systems:

1. nanoCAD Free

2. LibreCAD

3. FreeCAD

4. QCAD

5. DWGSee Viewer & Editor

6. Bentley View

I have some free PDF viewer download URLs:

1. Master PDF Editor

2. Qoppa PDF Studio Viewer

3. Adobe Reader

I have some more free text editor download links:

1. EditPad Lite

2. emacs

I also have some freeware still image and motion image URLs:

1. Krita

2. GNU Image Processor

3. Blender

4. Inkscape

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Ninite.com

• Advertisement

There is a screen recorder from Blueberry called FlashBack.

NCH Software have numerous types of freeware downloads available on their Web site.

Post edited by yufettodes on

There are also many freeware Web browsers. Here are some of them:

1. Blisk

2. Falkon

3. SRWare Iron

4. Vivaldi

5. Opera

6. Firefox

There is a plethora of freeware available on Github and also on SourceForge.

Is this thread a chatgpt experiment?! Seems like it.

I did not get the names of these free downloads from a chatbot. I got them from searching online. I cannot paste the URLs, because I am a new user, only the names.

• Advertisement

There is no recent list of freeware links on boards. That is why I started this thread. Most of the threads here are from years ago and link to sites that have gone offline.

Don't forget that all versions of Windows come with WordPad. Not really freeware, but it is still a basic substitute if Word is not available. Word can open and edit files created in WordPad.

I exported my bookmarks to HTML. When I am able to paste hyperlinks, I will update my posts accordingly. There is a thread like this one which someone started 17 years ago, but it is closed, so I had to start my own thread.

KiCad EDA is a free program for electronic circuit design and simulation.

Audacity is a free audio recorder and editor.

LTspice from Analog Devices is a free download for electronic circuit simulation etc.

AutoDesk EAGLE is free with a subscription to Fusion 360.

DoubleCAD XT is a free 2D CAD program.

There is also Obsidian for mind maps.

There are also the free Web office software Zoho Office Suite and Microsoft Office for the Web.

There is also a spreadsheet Gnumeric and a word processor AbiWord.

For the Pascal programming language there is PascalABC.NET, or Free Pascal and Lazarus or Embarcadero Delphi Community Edition.

For BASIC, there is Gambas or FreeBASIC.

Apologies that the posts in this thread are random. The reason being is that I haven't had yet sorted out my bookmarks in proper order.

All very useful & appreciated.

I like Libre Office myself, first discovered in on a Linux VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

portableapps.com has a huge range of freeware you can put on a USB drive and bring anywhere with you.

• Advertisement

Online version of the Microsoft Suite - All you need is a Microsoft account - log in at portal.office.com. Good for 90% of basic tasks in Word, Excel etc.

There are DOSBox and FreeDOS, which are basically free alternatives to MS-DOS.

Dan Bricklin has VisiCalc for DOS as a free download on his Web site. Also, Ability Plus for DOS is available free online from Ability Software's Web site.

Also UVviewsoft has Universal Viewer for free download.

Apologies again for the randomness of this thread. I'll post the hyperlinks as soon as I can, but, obviously, for now, people here can google the names of the software I've mentioned. I am glad to see that this is helpful for people.

Microsoft have the following for GNU/Linux (Ubuntu etc) for free: Edge and also PowerShell, Visual Basic & C# (.NET Core) and also SQL Server. But not the Windows Command Prompt or C++/CLI for GNU/Linux.

For OS virtualisation, there is VMWare Workstation Player or Oracle VirtualBox for free.

For an emulator, there is QEMU for free download.

Raincode has a free compiler for COBOL.

Silverfrost has a free compiler for Fortran.

The NVIDA HPC SDK for C, C++ and Fortran is also available as a free download.

For the Microsoft .NET Framework, there is also Mono from Xamarin (https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/apps/xamarin).

I hope that this thread is useful for people.

Not really software, but these 2 sites have high-quality, bona fide, 100% free ebooks on numerous technical topics:

1. RedGate Books (https://www.red-gate.com/hub/books/)
    2. Syncfusion (https://www.syncfusion.com/succinctly-free-ebooks)

• Advertisement

Again, not really freeware, but Pluralsight have a 10-day free trial of their multimedia learning resources for a large number of technical topics relating to IT: https://www.pluralsight.com/pricing/free-trial

Advertisement