Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mortgage protection - what insurer is the most flexible

Options
  • 24-03-2023 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was surprised finding out how difficult it is to get mortgage protection cover for our checklist with the mortgage broker with one of the partners having a high BMI, was completely prepared to pay a much higher premium but being uninsurable is a bit of a shock.

Does anybody have experience in the industry and happen to know which provider is the most flexible so don't have to do half a dozen more medical screens? Alternatively has anybody successfully negotiated a waiver with the mortgage provider, maybe using life insurance cover from the employer?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Do you have life insurance? We just got it included on our life insurance, way too complex medical history trying to get MP it was a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dublin_pete

We have survivor benefit life insurance through work but that explicitly seems to say can't be used as part of a mortgage application unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Death benefit? No that can't be used.

You went to an insurance broker ya? If they can't get you something you'll have to try for an exemption from the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

Worth talking to the folks at Lion.ie

We found them brilliant. Pick up the phone instead of trying to get online quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gem898

We had trouble getting brokers to even apply after we got one postponement for MPI. Onelifeinsure.ie managed to get us sorted with Irish Life at the very last minute. It wasn't BMI related but we had 2 postponements and a decline letter before we got that.

Laya is worth a try too. They charge more but don't do a PMA so you'll know pretty much instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Loz Ella

Hi Pete, I'm in the same boat at the moment - did you get sorted in the end, either with MPI or a waiver from the bank?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We got a waiver from BOI in 2021 when we went for our mortgage. I’m uninsurable due to my medical history so we were told I needed to get 3 letters of decline and then submit them to the bank to ask for the waiver. Mine is a joint mortgage with my husband and he is the main breadwinner, so ours was fairly straightforward as he is well able to afford the mortgage on his own, so I suppose from the bank’s POV, if I shuffle off the mortal coil tomorrow, they won’t have to worry about him not being able to service the debt alone.

We used Lion.ie for my husband’s MPI and they were very helpful - also very helpful trying their best to get cover for me, even though they did say with my medical history I’d be up against it.

Advertisement