Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you holding off on extension?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Was he wearing cowboy spurs when dropped that in that quote that is gouging at its finest you would be crazy to pay that there are decent properties in Dublin you could buy for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

You won’t buy anything in South Dublin for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

This is similar to what I want to do in Galway. Current house is 100 sqm including a sunroom extension (10sqm). 3 tenders in to demolish the sunroom, build a two story side extension (no existing garage just a wide side garden), and single storey rear extension. Also a block built shed/garden room (14.5 sqm). Finished size 200sqm including the shed. Tenders are between 515k and 605k. Completely out of our budget and more than the house would be worth afterwards.

One of the builders did tell me when he did the site visit that renovation is often more costly than new built because they have to demo the existing house first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

My sister in law getting all her windows and doors replaced , double glaze for 16K Euros fitted.

• Advertisement

The windows does seem high. I’ve been told to expect roughly 1k per window and that’s for AluClad. Obviously big windows cost more than small ones but most houses have a mix and apparently that’s what it typically works out at. Perhaps there’s lots of large glazing? Or sky lights included in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

Got a quote a few weeks ago for 5M bi- folding doors ......€18k !! After a bit of research the bi- folds seems to cause issues so we are now looking at either lift and slide ( €9k aluminium) or a large PVC slider and brought the size down to 3.6M.

We are changing the downstairs layout of our kitchen/ dining area. Finding it hard to get quotes and availability of builders in Meath area. We were originally looking at building an extra bedroom on top of the single story side of the house but we were looking at €75k. Between interest rates on loans/ mortgage top-up and the cost we have put that part on hold for a few years.

A colleague in South Dublin is looking to get an extension. 2 builders he asked to quote wouldn't as they are only doing extensions and rennovations of jobs over €400k!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,669 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You won't buy anything in South Dublin for 500k ?

Really.... ... .. .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,669 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Aluclad is a cod tbh. You'll hear alot of opinions on that on the forum but unless your into looking after the timber side of the house with upkeep it loses its finish and can hold moisture if there is any penetration.

There's plenty of extremely good upvc alternatives that Give very close to aluclad look. But architects don't have to live in the houses they spec this stuff like it's a bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Tendered in Jan '23 and again in Aug '23. Costs went up 50k since Jan.

4 bed semi retrofit with extension and attic conversion (no dormer). 420k incl. VAT..

Have pulled the plug and will look to tender again next year. One example is being quoted 30k to re-wire, where it should be 15-20k at most, or so I have been told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭kevgaa

The dilema is wait and see what happens or cut your cloth accordingly.

@WacoKid based on your evidence i'm looking at cutting my cloth. Just for info my electrical is 18200 plus Vat.. Thats for rewire of basically 210 sq metre house after works completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I had something designed a few years ago but the costs went astronomically high. So it’ll probably never happen. The planning will lapse.

I think I’ll just repave the patio where it was going to go and focus on redecorating.

There are properties for sale for that price and under. You also have to consider when your buying the property your buying the land which is probably the most expensive part of buying a property. So are you saying there is no gouging going on when a builder is doing an extension the land it sit on does not have to be bought again yet these guys are using a pricing model that would suggest that you are buying the land again. Its gouging and any argument from anyone on here has a vested interest.

Post edited by fliball123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

We got a 2 story. Quotes were 100k pre covid. 200k post covid. Got a morgage. It's around 4K per square metre including VAT.

Asked 7 builders only 4 came back with quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭kevgaa

@Tim Robbins What was the quote for?

Domestic 2 story extension circa 58 square metres. 21 upstairs, 37 downstairs. One quote was around 170K but didn't have much detail in in, two were around 240k and we went with the one for 200K (exactly around 206K I think). Including VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

I’m pretty sure that you’re the guy that said that extension prices were about to drop significantly in the short term. Now because that isn’t happening you’re calling it “price gouging”?

Well I am getting mine done at a cheaper price point than a price quoted to me 2 years ago so there is gouging going on. Construction workers building extensions are charging what a new build (which would include the amount charges for land) are charging so yeah there is gouging anyone silly enough to pay it good luck prices in all raw materials with the exception of concrete has come down - so Timber, insulation, sheet materials are all down, blocks has been rocky up and down but are still at the same level as Oct/Nov of last year, plasterboard has dropped slightly so price increases are now more or less for concrete and for labour and profit margin. I told your man 2 years ago where to go and had a lovely experience of meeting him recently and him asking about the job and him telling me if he was to do it now it would be about 20% more now I told him I was starting at a cheaper price point than he quoted 2 years ago and he should look at his pricing model as he was banging on about just being back from 3 weeks holiday in the U.S taking in Vegas LA and the likes and in a brand new Truck. Funny enough do he was available to start straight away which was not the case 2 years ago he had a nice back log of 6/7 months he had to clear so his work load must be drying up. Yeah these guys are certainly gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Prices gone crazy even in the last 2 years.

We had a 46.5 sqm extension built in 2021 to the side of the house. Now there was no steel work or kitchen to go into it.

2 Bedrooms - 1 Ensuite

1 Small wetroom

1 utility

All bathrooms fully tiled.

71k.

All certified by an Engineer.

The key is to shop around as best you can. Word of mouth also. If you see people getting work done in your area approach the builder if it is of good quality.

Some of the prices going up here are comical. I think that some of the builders are on the gouging train too and there are enough people willing to jump on the credit train by getting huge loans or topping up mortgages just to get it done.

2008 anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Squatman

demo of house first would be done in a day, and would generally be very straight forward.

• Advertisement

That's really good. If not exceptional.

What insulation was used? What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Gusser09

92.5mm on the walls. Floor insulated and roof insulated also. I'll dig out the bill of quantities. I'm in NE Kildare.

Just to add we had 1 lad came in looking for 120K.

ok so that's older spec. Sounds like 12.5 is coming from plasterboard, meaning your getting 80mm insulation. That's more like a 2010 spec way better than before that. But, current spec you would be wanting at least 120mm (50% more) and really good spec would be at least 150mm (almost 100% more). Because the insulation has plasterboard, I am suspect you got cavity block rather cavity wall. That can mean less block work.

Similarly, triple glazed windows can be 50% more than double and if you have any exterior doors, it's around the same there.

It's not going to make much difference so well done on the price you got sounds way cheaper than Dublin. What probably helped you get a good price was your location.

We ask 7 builders for quote. 3 wouldn't even do a quote even though they saw the plans etc. Ended up almost 4K per square metre including vat for builders finish and interior painting.

Post edited by Tim Robbins on

That’s crazy it’s gone up so much in a few months. I have been told by my architects though that regs for electrical have changed recently pushing up the cost (thicker cables or something?)

Post edited by houseyhouse on

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Could have been the builders I asked for quotes at a time when their backlog of work was strong etc. and so they 'over quoted'. I will tender again in Q1 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I came on here to check what prices people were getting. My Dad got a 40 square meter single story kitchen extension done in 2019 for €65k and I thought that was expensive. Now helping my sister look for quotes and came on here to compare. I think looking at the posts i better tell her to just give up the idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Have a 60sqM 2 Story Extension and Renovation of existing (110sqM) to tender - first quote we got back was 410k. South Dublin. Was quoted between 180 and 230 in early 2020 for the whole job :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

We couldn't get anyone to tender for it and just gave up. Whole thing was designed by an architect and ready to roll, planning obtained etc. It's all expired now.

Paid the architect and will keep the drawings on file for maybe sometime in the future.

We just put some cash into decor and paving instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭denismc

That's pretty bleak, plenty of new builds going up around me but absolutely no extensions from what I can see.

There seems to be little interest in the building trade at the moment for doing extensions, to be fair building a new house is probably easier.

Advertisement