Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Prime Time done a piece this evening on retail crime and how its only getting worse and how

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

Hug a thug has been trialed for years now, we've more feral scum than ever. Get rid of the carrot and bring out the big stick.

Do they? Why does DCC have millions in arrears if this is the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thomil

What's the obsession with jails? Given the prevalence of electronic surveillance measures and geofencing, banishment should be an option as well:

"In lieu of a custodial sentence, you will be sent to [INSERT REMOTE AREA HERE] for the duration of your probation period, where you will be required to stay within [AREA X]. Your position will be monitored at all times, as will your communications. You will be fitted with an electronic position tag. Contact with your former associates or family, failure to remain within your allocated area, removal of your tag or any other attempt to evade these or other conditions of your monitored release without due cause and documentation will result in incarceration for the full duration of your sentence. You will be required to check in with your local garda station once per week and any necessary exception to the rules of your confinement, such as for medical appointments or court appearances, must also be reported to your local garda station and are subject to approval."

There are situations where jail is warranted, such as anytime violence is involved or an activity results in the injury of a third party, and I do in general believe that a tougher approach is needed. But from what I can see, jail sentences don't really reduce the chance of repeat offences here in Ireland. Removal of a perpetrator from their known environment and their previous associates and family seems to be a better option, particularly if it is coupled with some sort of employment program or job. It will not work for everyone, but I can imagine that there are quite a few people wouldn't want to go back to their old life once they've seen that there's another way of living out there.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,560 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

except you're wrong, far less poverty in ireland now than there used to be, and areas especially in the inner city of Dublin that used to be full of "feral scum" and you couldn't even walk through in the 90s have greatly improved, basically because people have more money and opportunities.

so keep up the hugging Johnny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The amount of money that retail makes in Ireland is insane, hire some "Proper" security (not some oul lad at the door)

M&S and Pennys are a perfect example of good security.

Listening to people who are most likely very wealthy whining about some skanger robbing an item that they trying to sell for 3 times the price they bought (minimum) it for, is irritating. They just write it off as a loss, it costs them very little.

If staff are employed by the shop that are not security, it's there job to "report" and that's it. Anyone taking on criminals is an idiot (There's to many crazy's out there right now)

I grew up in the 90s. You could happily walk around town without bother, as I did as a teenager most Saturdays. There was on zombie apocalypse gauntlet from Connolly to O'Connell Street like there is now, there was no junkie playground like the boardwalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

rubbish i do be out an about in town and never have any troble just keep your head down and keep to yourself and you wont have an problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,560 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There was a huge heroin problem in the 90s. I actually got held up by 2 lads with a syringe in 96 when I was 15. Sherriff st, Foley st, Dominic Street, Summerhill, you'd be mad to even walk through them back then. Not like that at all now. Much improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I mean not every store is a Penny's or m&s, some are small businesses or franchises that could be just scraping by, you don't know and nor is it relevant. If the store is overpriced l, go elsewhere. The cost of thievery is felt by all of us, from the prices of the goods to the price of insurance, to the tax needed to pay for the gardai, the courts and the prisons. I have never stolen a thing in my life and I'm mid thirties, why is that hard? Why have such low respect for other people and their property. The solution is that owners should be given more legal leeway to protect their property, the cheapest and simplest solution is to be allowed to physically protect your property without fear of legal prosecution. The fact that these thieves are immune from prosecution creates an unfair advantage in favour of the thief, this needs to be evened up.

If this was 200 years ago, you would find them hanging from the local bridge as a warning to others.

• Advertisement

Keep your head down and don't draw attention. It's the capital city ffs, not the DMZ between North and South Korea. Expect more of your country ffs, rather than cowering with your head down hoping you don't draw the ire of some scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,680 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Ignore him, only looking for a reaction to drag the thread off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

That would mirror my experience. Far worse now than it was in the 90s, even the 00's. And worse its getting all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

off topic but im presuming your einstein reference was the 'doing the same thing and expecting a different result....'

firstly, he never said that.

secondly, its also not in any way true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I'm in there all the time and have been since I started College in the late 90s. And unlike a lot of people I walk around it a lot in the day time and at night. There has never been the amount of drug addicts, low life's and gangs of teenagers that literally do whatever they want that there is now. Not even remotely close. Pretty much every Friday and Saturday night in the main square in temple bar there is a large gang of teenagers openly dealing drugs outside McDonalds. This is a recent thing (basically since Covid). It's far dodgier than it has been in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

There almost every day myself. I agree with you totally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but Argos wasn't a vital place anyway. If the only choice was an Argos style shop for everyday things, then it would work better imo! Meh, give it another few decades and we won't have to leave the house for anything anyway, everything will be delivered. Wall-E had the future right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Quitelife

A lot more people are turning to petty crime because theyve seen wasters for years getting away with robbing etc & be able to live a better life than people in minimum wage jobs .

Moral of Irish society is give up minimum wage jobs and get dole instead topped up by shoplifting/ burgalaries/ bit of drug dealing and before you know it youll be laughing at those in minimum wage jobs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,487 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's almost like that now but at least now you still have the choice to go out to the shops or cinema to restaurants etc.

In another few decades bar maybe places to eat you might not have the choice to go to a shop and you will have to buy everything online. Sounds horrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

i dont have any answers but what we're doing now clearly isnt working,just a thought...how about for starters a few more gardai actually walking the beat? or what about some sort of a boot camp type thing?wasnt there some sheriff in america did that awhile back?think he had a bit of success with it too..?i do know ive been living and working in dublin since the late 70s and dont remember seeing so many gangs of scrotes around...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

"You are him…the one they call the "Baba Yaga"…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭batman_oh

We are essentially at a point where we have told teenagers that they can do whatever they want without any repercussions. Not much surprise that they go ahead and take advantage of it.

Advertisement