Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PrePurchase Engineers Report - Advice Please

• 21-03-2023 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

We purchased our home last year and some things have came up that we have to rectify.

We have had issues with the drains. Had them checked and have been told there is issues that should have been spotted during the engineers check. Septic tank is too close to the boundary. Also, a drain from the kitchen and utility is pouring directly into a gully that runs along the boundary.

We also do not have any vents in the house (walls or in the windows). Was told this is against building regulations. The house was renovated in 2008 so maybe this was wasn't a regulation then?

My question is, should the engineer have spotted these issues? Completely understand that they are checking for obvious visual defects. I do feel let down by him and think a professional should spot these. I fear though it's just a case of tough s**t as I didn't spot them either.

Any input welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

IMO, yes, the engineer should have spotted these issues. However, (remembering back to my own engineers report) there are probably so many caveats in the report that you likely have nowhere to turn in that regard. In the end you will probably have to bite the bullet and just get the stuff sorted.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Vents were a requirement prior to the date of the renovations but only certain renovations would trigger the requirement to bring them up to current spec.

Septic tank being too close to boundary should have been mentioned in report and personally I always highlight the possible issues likely to arise around that such as improper drainage to neighbouring property and the strong possibility of a complete new system being required at cost of circa 10k.

The surveyor may well have excluded underground services from Inspection and you may note that they say no opening of services took place. That being the case, the drainage issues would be your own but septic tank certainly needed to be highlighted in some way within report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No you'll have zero comeback on these. Unless specified to be examined then they won't. Engineers reports tend to be as you said an inspection not an intensive snag list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Newtown00

Thanks all for the input. Will have to forget it and drive on!

Advertisement