Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Growing conflict with bud

• 21-03-2023 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

So I have been hanging out with a new group of lads via a chess club I joined recently. Good group, made friends with them quickly and a few of them also go to my gym so we've been hanging out a lot recently. I'm a funny guy to talk to, in fact I once had Dara O'Briain in person basically telling me that I am like a comic. When I arrived on the scene everybody quickly recognised me as one of those good humoured types, always telling jokes or stories etc, but not in an annoying way, I know how to read the room and I don't impose it on people in the wrong situation. There's one guy, who I assume was in the "funniest guy" role before I showed up. We got along great at first, and basically still do, but I noticed he's the only one who never likes any of my zingers on twitter, and never replies to them. I tweeted at least 4 or 5 solid zingers at the weekend and his absence was conspicuous, almost like he was avoiding them. Is there now a resentment because I'm potentially squeezing him out of his former role as funny guy?

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭xabi

Whats a zinger

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think you're reading too much into it, he went a weekend without checking Twitter, maybe he was busy or just having a no social media weekend

I've known people who will literally go several days before replying to a message because they're just not in the mood (yes, I'm one of them)

If you're concerned that you're stealing his thunder somewhat, then just back off the jokes a bit and give him some space to speak

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Maybe he just didn't find them funny? Humour is very subjective. I also find - within my circle at least - that people who are naturally funny don't always find other humour funny like the rest of us do.

Also, assuming that the absence of a 'like' or 'reply' on social media is some form of attack on you is a very passive aggressive way of looking at things. It feels like you need some kind of affirmation and attention and when you don't get it, you suspect you're not liked. The world doesn't work like that - some people just get on with life and don't spend their time making sure everyone they like knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭akelly02

you sound like a fella who really wants to be liked and for everyone to think you are funny.

Stop trying so hard would be my advice.

Humour is subjective.

• Advertisement

Right but if I'm putting out zingers left and right and everyone else is laughing and liking them it's likely some pretty good stuff, so I'm left thinking "what gives"? Where's the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭89897

One; either he doesn't think they're "zingers" or two; he doesn't live life off social media and gave them a little 'ha' and moved on. He isnt obliged to like anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Not everyone has the exact same type of sense of humor. It'd be fairly boring if they did.

You have little to be worried about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭SteM

OP, you're overthinking every single aspect of this relationship and your interaction with these people. It must be draining, just try to relax and life will be much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Why are you putting so much importance on one guy's opinion? Humours differ, maybe he doesn't think they're funny, or maybe he's not even seeing them? Either way I wouldn't take it too personally. If you all get on well and have good banter between you all that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭cml387

There is an epsiode of Frasier ("The Focus Group") in which Frasier's radio program is reviewed by a focus group. Everybody is highly praiseworthy of the show except for one person who expresses some mild criticism.

Needless to say Frasier obsesses about this one guy, to the extent that he (illegally) gets details of where the man lives, relentlessly stalks him in an effort to change his mind and eventually accidentally burns down his news stand and ruins his business.

Just relax and chill and don't be like Frasier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

I wouldn't place much weight on what Dara O' Briain says about comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Seems like a serious thread, this.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Dslatt

I probably wouldnt like your posts on twitter either

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Exactly. And if someone I know was constantly using the term "zinger" and basing real life around social media

I would avoid them.

We were having pizza and beers watching the boxing and I was reeling off limericks and one liners and he was busting a gut, but nothing on the twitter machine. And he definitely saw a few of them because he was tweeting about the golf around the same time as I was on a roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Get a life lad, this is hardly a serious issue?

This is like my buddy always giving out that one of the lads never texts him back and leaves his messages on read, I'm like one hes dyslexic and two, he has 4 **** small kids. He's lucky he gets to take a **** in the morning with 4 kids never mind texting you about the football minute by minute.

Bruh, he sounds like a loser and you sound like a legend.

Give ya a few of the one liners so we can bask in your glow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭akelly02

you are clearly taking the piss now .

get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Yeah ignore the haterz OP and link your twitter while you're at it. We could all do with a massive laugh or two on a quiet Tuesday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭JamBur

This is a spoof, it absolutely has to be.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

was just thinking the same. Seems to be a lot more spoofing going on here lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Gunner5

If this is true.. then to be honest you are trying too hard and some people are likely put off by it. Are you really being yourself when you are busting out these zingers? cos the fact you seem to be so self aware about it I'd wonder. Do you talk about anything he might be interested in? I would suggest stop being so hung up on entertaining through Twitter. He might have hundreds of accounts that he follows that he finds more entertaining than yours and didn't even see it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,993 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Social Media Syndrome at its most self-destructive. Look at me, look at me, listen to me, listen to me, praise me, praise me,,phenomenon. The marketing people know what they’re doing.

Nothing Known Talent Management Ltd

It's legit, another victim of the social media age!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Total horseh 1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Allinall

How can you have a conflict if only one side is disgruntled? The other party appears to be perfectly gruntled.

Are you conflicted with yourself, OP?

• Advertisement

Turn off all social media for a week, see how you go

Advertisement