Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supersoil- Snake oil?

Options
  • 18-03-2023 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Have you seen the ads and all the articles about Supersoil.

There is an ad/article about 9% yield increase in uk lab trial

I dont call that independent data and im under the impression this is a snake oil product.

Any one used it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Unidentified user

I had the same view until I got chatting to a lad who uses all the time. He said it works well if only spreading dung, going with the grass harrow and topping weeds soon as they show up. Using chemicals completely defeats the purpose of using supersoil. I wouldn't be taking a chance on it and hoping for a great crop of silage, he reckons it will take 2 or 3 year to come into its own. I have a few 2 acre fields on out farm and am going to try it on them as I only put replacement weanlings on it so there's no demand for high grass yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Packrat

It's working for the lad making it anyway.

Some demand for it this year with all the newly organic people trying to shortcut the system.

I'm definitely tempted but I think it'll be going out in strips to see if there's a difference.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There are cheaper alternatives.

This guy made a good brew. Only mistake he made was he applied it in sunshine and on baked ground.

Pick soil from below a deciduous tree. Oak or beech is good and preferably in a wood where no chemicals were applied. Pull away the top few inches and use the leaf mold below.

If you are close to the sea, use seawater instead of the seasalt. But if not use the sea salt.

If the brew goes too far and the microbes die. It's still a useful fertiliser.

Use white cotton pillowcases for the cheese cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What is the difference with Bacteriosol?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bacteriosol does similar work. that has been around for a number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭endainoz

What I find dodgy about it is that it has no ingredients displayed on the packages or anywhere on the website, "guarding their secret recipe" as they put it.

And what's even more surprising is that they got it fully certified as organic. They do however have great marketing behind them, the ads are popping up everywhere.

Did someone say on the Fertiliser thread that this was going to be trialed by Teagasc this year? Wonder if a mod could extract those posts out into this to collate it all?

For all their marketing, a lack of credible research analysis makes me file this in the 'Too Good to be True' tray. I don't put much credence in the farmer recommendations as I don't know them personally and nor do I know the relationship between them and SuperSoil.

It might be legit, but TBH if it was all that they say it was then the dept. would be all over it like a rash. I've read the adverts on FB and I don't think I've ever seen a query response where they have said its effect would be nill, marginal or unsuitable.

That being said there does seem to be something in the use of microbes.

I had asked them in the past about independent research and the answer was that they do their own independent field trials using NRM labs in UK.

You could try it on pasture, but I wouldn't be trying it on the silage ground until a bit more proof. Might be that it needs a couple of years to get going properly, but it needs someone truly independent to undertake a soil/grass analysis, applies it and then subsequently takes another soil/analysis and compares to prove the effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

A load of red flags with this stuff. No peer reviewed, only testimonials and advertorials. Nothing about what is in it, nothing substantial about how it works, only magic microorganisms. Lastly this company seems a small operation, not a biosciences company. While indeed it's not beyond the realm of possibility that a small operator in Louth has discovered a magic formula that has evaded agriscience but...

Personally, I wouldn't use it until there is a full public understanding of what it contains and how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

A pull of a subsoiler or moleplough (depending on soil type) in suitable conditions, you need a shatter effect in the topsoil to bring life into it is the best money you’ll spend on land.

leave the snake oil with the bulls* %% artists.

• Advertisement

It’s a bad sign when you email the company and the ceo replies

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭farmerphil135

we used a similar product on tillage ground and the 1st year nothing 2nd year complete turn around in the ground and crop. It’s rented ground in long term tillage and when ploughed you could find the previous years crop residue that all changed the 2nd year. Planning on trying some on grassland this year and have used more of it on tillage ground last year so hoping to see the results this year.

The organic lads seem to rage about earthworms and the benefits of having them.

How can you promote them? I am guessing plenty of fym?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭farmerphil135

No it’s stuff made/sold by nova Q same crowd we get the slurry bacteria off.

also to be clear on the forum we do promotional work for them.

Yeah FYM will definitely promote them. Avoiding sprays where possible would definitely encourage them too.

The worms that operate vertically (anecic) are at the apex of the life in the soil. First item is to get the balance of bacteria and fungii correct. As said above, of all the 'icides' applied as sprays, fungicides do the most damage.

The cotton underpants 90 day test is a good one to try. That is burying it, not wearing it for 90 days😉

I am against using sprays. I try to even avoid dosing unless absolutely needed as they say young stock develop a tolerance to worms etc over time.

I would like to over seed a bit of variety of species that have tap roots in to pastures with the goal of improving soil health and providing drought resistance

Getting your pH right is a big help too. FYM covered above, cides covered above. Limit compaction, Seaweed, humic, fulvic, molasses, all feed the ground and provide food for worms. Even a drop of coffee in the mix does no harm and feeds the craturs. Some people report biological treating slurry before spreading is a help too. But mostly anyway it's going out in bands now so it's more friendly than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

....The cotton underpants 90 day test is a good one to try. That is burying it, not wearing it for 90 days😉

Now he tells me 😥

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

I read a lot about Seaweed, humic, fulvic, molasses all working wonders.

Are there independent studies on this, are teagasc or anyone looking into it.

I met a neighbour on monday who was raving about humic, he hasnt spread slurry, fym or fert on his land in 7 years but thinks it wiĺl be as fertile as any after humic.

Im a non beliver

You'll have to delve into (I hate the term) the "regenerative" agriculture world. This all started in the US I believe. I could be wrong on that as I'm using products from Australia and China. So they're well clued up there also.

Has the neighbour been using humic acid for 7 years or just nothing for the 7 and thinks this now will replace all?

You'd be waiting for a long time for teagasc to get on board with some like this. They have way too many connections with the fert industry anyway. It's only very recently that they have got on board the clover train, about 30 years too late but here we are.

Yes, poor Mr Humphries ploughed a lonely furrow in Teagasc, for years. Slurry is a dead acidic material, definitely needs some treatment in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

When they do it in NZ, we will eagerly follow like sheep.

Do they have teagasc in New Zealand? If not maybe we could send them over and save a few bob?

I was at the soil health info/ teagasc wokeness coming of age day thingy in Johnstown Castle recently.

There was a bit of a discussion on straw chopping and the teagasc advisor mentioned about nitrogen probably needing to be spread to help the straw breakdown especially in min/no till.

Me with my big gob (the dairy farmer) suggested instead of nitrogen and wasting your allowance that maybe humic acid and molasses be applied to aid breakdown. In fairness the advisor was very open to the idea and they'll have to look at it. Not in fairness, there was a seller of humic acid present and tillage farmer and who should be all over this but is seemingly not on their home farm never said a peep. The frustration continues when a well known tillage farm manager with experience gave that bit of info to a dept official and I was there when he did so years ago.

And yet here we are years later and a teagasc advisor saying that nitrogen will probably have to be spread to aid breakdown and a dairy farmer telling teagasc and tillage farmers present what to do. 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

Was there a guy in Laois who was collecting green waste and shredding it up and spreading on his tillage fields to improve soil quality?

Advertisement