Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dry- RTÉ

Options
  • 16-03-2023 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

I couldn’t find a thread on this- anyone else watching it? It’s about a 35 year old Dublin woman who’s come home from London after 10 years, and is an alcoholic who’s six months sober.

I didn’t pay much attention to it from the trailer, but I’m on episode 7 now and I think it’s really very good. The acting is excellent, and I thought her ex Jack was a one-dimensional arsehole at first, but I now think their connection is written really well.

There’s maybe a bit too much going on in all the storylines with all of the family members, but they all feel fleshed-out and real. Ciaran Hinds plays the dad, and he had a scene in episode 6 that had me in floods.

Maybe expectations are just very low when it comes to RTÉ productions, but I would recommend this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,906 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Enjoying it too. Quite funny in places and well observed. Doesn't take itself too seriously either. I like the people, which is not something I would say often about these type of shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

I'm really enjoying it also as are my friends, I wouldn't have watched it at all but someone recommended it in work, all the characters are great but I love Bernie the mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Really good so far. It's got everything! The humour is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I watched the first episode on the player the night it aired and had it complete the next night. We enjoyed it here. I found certain elements of it sort of relatable to.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Must add it to my watch liar.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

List

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I saw this been advertised on ITV4 about a year ago. So much that I googled it to see what it was. Was surprised to see it on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

we caught a bit of it one night on RTE and was surprised at how it wasn't shíte. then caught a bit more another night, started it on RTE player and binged it over 2 nights. i'm shocked at how good it was, for RTE like. they didn't really advertise it much, not as much as they advertise Kin or whatever. but reading into it, I don't think RTE had much in the production

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

I really enjoyed it as did my friends, wasn't expecting it to be any good tbh, funny but a very good storyline and great acting all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have watched the first two episodes, it is enjoyable enough.

Downsides I would say all of the characters are horrible people, plus the actor who plays the son....I haven't seen him in anything before, I know why, he is absolutely brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

I don't think I have ever watched a show with not a single likeable character. They are the most horrible family.

The sister in particular is a vile cow. If she was my sister, I think we would be estranged.

It was full of awful stereotypes about Irish people in general, gay people, older people, everyone.

I found it so annoying. I stuck with it until the end, just to see if it could get any worse, it did.

I agree I watched it all, no idea why, what an absolutely horrendous group of characters.

Was there a single likeable character in the whole series? Her mate from AA but she barely had any depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

I just finished watching Sisters. It's very similar to The Dry. The same awful drunken Irish stereotypes that I thought were behind us.

The acting was far better though and I did laugh at some of it. Overall I thought it was good enough, except for the really awful portrayal of Ireland as a backward kip full of drunks where you can't access abortion 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Just finished it on the player and really enjoyed it, a second series is on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for that.

I will be looking forward to seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It's a good series but yes, horrible characters. Particularly the grotesque mother.

Advertisement