Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Festival 2023 Day 1, Tuesday the 14th of March

Options
  • 13-03-2023 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Queen HONEYSUCKLE and EL FABIOLO day!!

Will it be the day when we see the coronation of a potential equine superstar in Constitution Hill also?! Post your winners below!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭gazza1

Ultima.......Fastorslow

Mares.........Brandy Love NAP

Boodles.......Metamorpheus ew

BOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

iletaittemps, jonbon, oscarelite, constitutionhill, mariesrock, tekao, gaillarddumesnil

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Zanahiyr

Shewearsitwell

Threeunderthrufive

all e/w

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

1:30: Facile Vega 2/1

2:10: El Fabiolo 5/4 NAP

2:50: Happygolucky 12/1 e/w

3:30: Constitution Hill 1/3

4:10: Honeysuckle 3/1

4:50: Jazzy Matty 18/1 e/w

5:30: Gaillard Du Mesnil 5/6

1:30: I'm prepared to give FACILE VEGA another chance after the Leopardstown disappointment last time out. They went hard out front that day, but the horse was also – and possibly more importantly – reported lame after the race also. The vibes from Closutton seem to be still strong on him, and I think he still could be the best horse here.

2:10: I loved EL FABIOLO's run at Leopardstown, and I think in this he has come through a stronger test over fences than Jonbon has, so I give him the vote. He seems to be a horse with a massive engine, even though he has a mistake in him as we saw the last day. But there is something potentially exciting about him, I think, and it was interesting to hear Andrew McNamara saying on the radio over the weekend that he heard afterwards that Willie Mullins fancied him at the DRF over Appreciate It and Dysart Dynamo, even though the market didn't reflect that. He's my main bet tomorrow.

2:50: HAPPYGOLUCKY was second in this race two years' ago when favourite, and his course form here is good. Corach Rambler could go very well again, though, but I think my selection could be a strong each way player.

3:30: Looking forward to watching the Champion Hurdle. The straight Constitution Hill/State Man forecast is a potential bet, but I don't have a huge interest in this race from a betting perspective. Should be a spectacle though!

4:10: I'm fairly bullish about HONEYSUCKLE here! There's all the sentimentality with her last run etc, and I know they say there's no sentiment in sport, but I don't buy into all the talk of her being on the downgrade. Yes, she's been beaten, but I think her form is still stronger than Marie's Rock who I think is the main danger in this race. Soft ground isn't a worry for her, and I really think she's going to run a massive race here on her final outing. Brandy Love could be the one with most potential to improve, but I think she has it all to prove as well. Again, really looking forward to this race regardless!

4:50: I liked Sir Allen here initially, but I'm going to take a chance on another horse from the Naas race he won in JAZZY MATTY for Gordon Elliott. He gave Sir Allen weight that day, and he has some nice form behind Comfort Zone – and ahead of Tekao – in a Navan maiden last November also, so I think he could have an each way chance at a bigger price.

5:30: Not a race the really whet the appetite, possibly, but I think GDM is by far the best horse here, and at around even money, I think he could offer some value.

Best of luck all! Let's hope it's a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

1.30 Facile Vega, willing to forgive last run given previous form

2.10 Jonbon. Head says El Fabiolo, but have always had soft spot for Jonbon and have numerous ante post multiples with him

2.50 The Big Breakaway ew. Third in Brown Advisory 2 yes ago, when stable out of form and second in Welsh National carrying 11st13.

3.30 Constitution Hill, by more than 6 lengths

4.10 Will review after Champion Hurdle. If Stateman gets close to Constitution Hill, then Honetsuckle, if not, Marie's Rock

4.50 Bad after Tony Mullins comments

5.30 GDM once odds against. Miles clear of rest on ratings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

13.30: Marine Nationale

14.10 : Jonbon

14.50: cloudy Glen & Fantastikas

15.30: State Man

16.10:Honeysuckle

16.50: Sir Allen

17.30 : Chemical Energy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

went with some longer odds this year

1.30 Dark Raven 25/1 E/w

2.10 Dysart Dynamo 6/1 Win

2.50 The Goffer 16/1 (bet on him last night, odds improved a lot since) E/w

4.10 Epatante 17/2 E/w

4.50 Sundial 16/1 E/w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

€5 e/w acca

13:30 Diverge

14:50 Corach Rambler

16:10 Brandy Love

16:50 Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

14:50 Fastorslow

16:10 Brandy Love

16:50 Metamorpheus

Patent each way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I'm hoping Facile Vega and Honeysuckle will be backed today because both are major Lays for me. Both false favourites in strong races imo.

Have had a few quid on Saint Roi @ 12 this morning.

Bigger bet on Constitution Hill to win by over 6L @ 1.93 on BF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muloc

1:30: Marine Nationale

2:10: Dysart Dynamo

3:30: State Man

4:10: Brandy Love

All win but with Boyle so money back as free bets 1.30 if loser and rest if 2nd/3rd to SP FAV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

9 x £5 E.W. doubles (6 places paid both races).

14:50 Corach Rambler 6/1 Threeunderthrufive 20/1 Remastered 25/1

16:50 Bad 13/2 Sir Allen 10/1 Samuel Spade 16/1

Best of Luck all !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Two e/ws:

1.30: Diverge

2.50: The Goffer

Friendly small e/w accum:

1.30: Tahmuras

2.10: Jonbon

2.50: Corach Rambler

3.30: Constitution Hill

4.50: Tekao

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

1.30 Cheltenham, facile Vega, just under 9/4 in the exchange. Can't see it winning here. Lay bet for me. The last run, you could see its not the same horse, and by mullins running it here, it'll hold up the bigger prices for the rest of the horses. I'll be shocked if facile vega wins here.

2.10 Cheltenham, el fabiolo, just over 5/4. Again, can't see it winning. Probably the second fav will win but just the lay on el fabiolo for me.

3.30 Cheltenham, constitution Hill, I've taken the 2/5... Will surely win in a canter.

Could be a great day for Henderson, can't see honeysuckle winning either, so a trickys days racing in my opinion.

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laguacamaya

1.30 Tahmuras

2.50 Corach Rambler

4.50 Perseus Way

GL all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭Xander10

I thought Townend went too soon on the fav, maybe it would have made no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

Don't think so. Facile Vega just looked one paced once Marine Nationale went past.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Nice little third with Diverge, but I seem to have left the bleedin' docket in the bookies (mind like mush lately). Raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Great win for the connections and keeping faith with a young jockey unlike so many on the flat who go for the big name often on big day .

They seem bullish about the chances of Goodland in the Ballymore tomorrow, he's gone into 3/1 with P.P.

• Advertisement

Did any of the jockeys from the first race give an opinion on the ground/going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

2.10 Cheltenham, Jonbon. Just over 2/1... I've decided to have a few quid win here. I have the fav as no chance of winning. So if that horse was a non runner, what price would Jonbon be, 2/5? Initially, I'd planned on just laying the fav, but just hard to pass on the situation.

Did a quid e.w. on effernock fizz @125 for a giggle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭Xander10

There use to be a poster on here that posted long shots with some great winners. Is he still around or does anyone follow him elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Timeform with the first 2 trifectas. Not bad tipping!

I've done my bets on this next race , but just saw Tea Clipper at 40/1 so have had a little E.W. He was 4th to Corach Rambler in this last year , seems a bit of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I've had a Barry Connell double for some time. What struck me was when he was asked about both horses chances he replied " I expect both to win!" Don't often get such directness from trainers. Anyway I can't get Vauban at 18-1 for the CH out of my head!

• Advertisement

Advertisement