Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A3 National Championships 2023?

Options
  • 13-03-2023 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Is this race dropped from the calendar for 2023 does anybody know?

I can't see it listed anywhere. The last time I checked the calendar, it was on for the first weekend in September?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Heard through the grapevine the club(s) involved weren’t running an A3 event on the Masters champs day. It seems however that cycling Leinster have sought further interest from clubs to hold the masters championship day so things might change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

I was/am on the committe that was formed to run the Masters and A3 champs on a course in South Kildare, as far ar we were concerned we had all our ducks in a row, we had a date, 2nd/3rd September, to run all the various races over the weekend, all the various things we thought we'd need booked, a very good venue/HQ (with toilets and showers!!!!!) booked and after all that effort we feel we were shafted by internal politics in CI.

I'd love to say more but probably best not...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Toilets and showers #takemymoney

In all seriousness though, that's unfortunate, and not fair on a club who went to the effort to organise, it's not as trivial thing as some may think.

Best not though one thinks CI have run out of money for legal fees at this stage 😂.

A very unfortunate turn of events as it’s always a great weekends racing for the humble racer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Not one club, the committee was drawn from the clubs who compete in our interclub league.

Apart for our league races the organisation side is new to me but as you say far from trivial to put something like this together, a lot of work had gone in, 3 meetings and quite a few people giving up their spare time to organise and book all the stuff needed to run an event like this.

Once bitten twice shy.......

Edit: to answer the OP's question, I have no idea whats happening with the A3 champs, try fdropping CI an email, but don't hold your breath for an answer

Highlight of my racing year was not getting dropped in the A3 champs last year

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Morris Garren

This is concerning alright; the fact that there is no host yet plus a recent Facebook campaign from cycling leinster didn't even mention the A3s - begging clubs to host the event but no mention of A3? I wonder about the dept of communications in the sport of Irish cycling. No big queue of potential hosts out there either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭wav1

I think charleville clash was an issue with the original date.

Mu information is that a leinster based club are willing to step in and promote on the new August dates.I actually have no idea though if there's to be an A3 championships as part of the masters weekend or not.There was/is a grading review group set up at present so.maybe part of their remit to decide if it goes ahead or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Sad news, was a good one to aim for and race the summer for.

The largest category is A3 right? And not doing everything possible to ensure the national champs for the category is run is a very strange move on the governing bodies part when it has run for years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Clashed written Rás na mBan too, it starts on the Wednesday. I think it clashed with the youth national's too? Could have parents unable to ride to support their kids too.

Controversial but I never saw the point of the A3 national champs. Elite, masters yes, the peak of the country you'd hope in them but A3 makes no sense from a national championship point of view if you think about the champs being the pinnacle of racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Morris Garren

The Aug 20th date is quite likely the National Youth Championship also--- unless that is ALSO being moved. As I mentioned above, CI must be asleep at the wheel and then expect club volunteers to fix the mess. Of all things, having youth and masters Nationals on the same day is just wrong... it surely can't be allowed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yeah no national champs should clash, for any discipline.

The point of the A3 national championships is this, in my mind:

The A3 champs is not an elite category or championship, far from it. The very large majority of racers in Ireland are probably A3 level. Riders tend to get stuck in the A3 category for a few reasons.

1. The A2 and A1 categories are quite a high level. You have to have at least one of the following (10+ hours to train a week and/or great natural ability and/or great race craft) to be able to upgrade to and be competitive in A2/A1 races.
    2. A3 is also where many great Juniors race for most of the year. They are the future of Irish cycling, and it is better for many of these juniors (not all - some small number have the stuff already for A1/A2 races), not to be thrown into the deep end at A1/A2 level right away, but it does mean that A3s do race with riders above their ability level.
    3. Also, often due to circumstances, combined races are run, all Seniors together which means A3s are just pack fill.

If its true that the large majority of riders giving membership fees especially and to a lesser extent, race day entries fees, are A3, then its healthy to throw them something to aim for. A3 championships was that for me.

In saying all that, some real quality riders have come out of A3 having won this race and it launched them upwards. The great example from recent times would be Conor Verbruggen, won the A3 champs in '19, last time it was held in Leinster and he won the Gorey 3 day last year.

Its also a great stepping stone to make that big leap up the categories.

EDIT:

I hope Cycling Ireland and Leinster manage to sort this out as its a great race to run and if anybody involved reading, please try to run it again.

I was about to buy my racing license today as I only race in the Summer months due to work commitments and I realise I have aged out, am 40 in September so it makes no difference to me but its a great target for riders in this category.

Post edited by Chumpski on

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

@Chumpski I think you can still enter A3, as long as you don't click M40 on your license. That's what I did, because no point in entering the M40 to race with A1s & 2s and get my head kicked in for €50 🤣

The M40 option was the only one available to me on the online license form.

Do you mean, A3 races generally or are you talking about the A3 champs entry?

Oh, I had a choice between 'senior' (or elite, can't remember the word exactly) and M40.

It's for the champs, it's the only reason I didn't click M40. I can still do vets racing but stay as an A3 for the champs.

Same here but I think if you have clicked M40 once that's it. So you get the choice every year until you either click M40 or you do an M40 champs. Once you do a champs once, that's it, you can't go back as far as I know

Ive never yet clicked M40, but I did choose M30 in the past and maybe that's why.

Anyways, all moot this year it sounds like! Thanks all.

• Advertisement

Once you click any masters cat it takes the option away from you. If you have never done a Masters competition you can ask CI to change you (possibly) but if you have done one, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭royrogers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No mention of A3 though. As I've heard it there's only plans for masters categories.

Advertisement