Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxsaver Monthly Rail Ticket - Do I need to tag on / off

Options
  • 11-03-2023 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hi

I recently got and will continue to get a monthly rail ticket through the tax saver scheme. The savings are great, shame I didn't realise how much I'd save a few years ago:

My question is so I need to tag on and off when using the dart. They get my money in advance every month anyway so I'm guessing it wouldn't make a difference (unless you get a narky inspector).

Also I have been tagging on, but the app says my ticket isn't activated. Should I be concerned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yes, you should tag on and off.

The LEAP top-up app doesn't display the tickets correctly - as long as the card tags on and off successfully each time the ticket is loaded correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your monthly ticket won't be reloaded if you don't tag on/off at least occasionally

Not tagging on screws up the usage stats - RPU at Docklands were pleading Taxsaver holders to tag (the barriers are open probably 9 rushhours out of 10 in a given week) as it was showing much lower usage than the crammed to standing trains would suggest. So many journeys to/from Docklands would have open gates at both ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is no absolute need to tag on or off

Next months/next years ticket is collected by tagging on/off so tagging on off is important

The turnstile line can count entry/exits without tickets, if left open they won't accept paper tickets anyway

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no sensors for them to count; and paper single/returns have destinations on them. I presume you can still buy various period tickets on paper also but they are not common anymore (and neither are paper single tickets within the Leap area)

But yes, you really don't have to tag on/off. For reasons - huge queues at the manual tag-off at one end; and using the carpark exit from Connolly at the other - I only tagged at one end in one direction for over a year and everything worked fine. This was on an annual but it picked up the new annual fine doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,245 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have an annual ticket.

There is no need and sometimes I don't if the turnstyle is open at my local station.

I once got off an intercity at Pearse with a colleague and then straight onto a dart. We both forgot to tag on but when the inspector came, it was only his non Tax saver standard leap card that read an error.

Appreciate what people are saying about the stats etc.

Advertisement