Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice to quit vs notice of termination

Options
  • 11-03-2023 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Saw an article today referring to a private renter being served a notice to quit. Is this the same thing as a notice of termination? When I Google notice to quit I see most things refer to commerical leases. I'm a bit confused if they are the same thing with reference to residential properties.

Thanks for enlightening me :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Any residential lease under the Residential Tenancies Act can only be terminated by service of a valid "Notice of Termination". The notice must in fact be headed as "Notice of Termination". Prior to the Residential Tenancies Act all types of tenancies could be brought to an end by means of a "Notice to Quit". Many reporters and journalists who write articles on the topic are unaware of the distinction and will use the terms interchangeably. Just because a newspaper says someone got a notice to quit doesn't mean that didn't in fact get a notice of termination.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Ah very good. Couldn't find an answer anywhere. Fair play!

Advertisement