Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CU Greener Homes Energy Quotes - Accurate?

Options
  • 10-03-2023 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭

My fiancee and I are in the middle of buying a 90 sq metre G rated old council house (end of terrace) from the 1940s. I took a gander at this getting ready for a far lower end BER rating or far more eye watering cost than I wound up with. Obviously it won't be 100% accurate on efficiency nor cost, but I'm curious if anyone has any idea if the estimate seems realistic?

The current windows are paper thin single pane, the doors are really old flimsy wood and glass and the building itself is solid concrete throughout, including the interior walls which we figured may bode well in terms of return we would get on windows, doors and attic insulation. It is also south-west facing which I reckon would help immensely for solar.

Anyway, after popping the details in here - https://cugreenerhomes.ie/calculator/ - I put in the following and wound up with the following:

• Internal dry-lining, €15,812
    • External windows and doors - triple glazed, €13,349
    • Air source heat pump, €23,000
    • Solar PV 1.7kw - 2kw, €8,050
    • Attic insulation (quotes at 200m though it's more like 40sq m up top, but running with their numbers so...), €3,291
    • Cost before grants: €63,502
    • Total grants: €24,700
    • Less Additional Energia Support €3,107.00
    • Cost after grants + VAT: €40,513
    • KWh/m2/y: goes from estimated 485 (G BER) to 0.8 (A1)!

We also would likely go for underfloor heating and floor insulation (may be needed at on a house that old, has to do with lack of concrete beneath apparently though we're having an architect and structural engineer in to take a peek before finalising) which would push it up a few grand more but I'm gobsmacked that we could get up to A1 that quickly and affordably (it's not cheap, I was just expecting a whole lot more or settling for a high D or low C for the foreseeable), so want to check that it's not completely out of whack with reality.

Between this and finding out that it likely qualifies for the Vacated Home Scheme which would go a loooong way (€30k) towards a replumb, rewire and some further work we're kind of caught off guard and just want to get opinions on how accurate it might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

EDIT: Couldn't find the edit button to state the obvious (that 0.8kwh/m2/y would be A1), but did after posting this... and now can't find the delete button. Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotfoodforphil

Did anyone PM you on this? Would love to know myself, the CU Greener homes calculator seems too good to be true based on my asking other SEAI OSS providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Biker1

Setting aside the costs, the fact that it is suggested to dry-line a mass concrete house is suspicious. Add to that no floor insulation recommended. Sounds like a generic specification and not one specific the the construction type.

Advertisement