Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode map different from the folio

Options
  • 10-03-2023 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

This may be silly and perhaps in a wrong section so apologies

To the issue (if it is one); I have purchased a property, map on the folio does not match the outline of the property on the eircode map; I am wondering why could that be.. to add to the thought, previous owner seemed to follow the boundary outlined as seen in the eircode map ( judging by hedge planting)

Does any one know where does the eircode take boundary information from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i could be wrong but i think its based on aerial photographs so it following the hedging would make sense. id take the folio as being more accurate but you could talk to an engineer/surveyor etc if you need to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The Eircode mad does not show property boundaries, it does show ditches and hedges, rivers and streams etc which may or may not form the property boundary. The boundary on the folio map is the correct one, if this is not defined on the ground you need an engineer/surveyor to mark it out for you. If you can, use Google Earth pro (free) and overlay your folio map to find where the boundary is on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,853 ✭✭✭✭muffler

That's pretty much the way things are.

I'm not 100% sure but I'm assuming the Eircode data is got from OS (Ordnance Survey) maps. The OS maps show the physical features that exist but Land Registry maps always take precedent as they show the legal boundaries superimposed on the OS mapping detail. It is quite common for differences to be shown between the legal boundaries as indicated on the LR maps and the physical boundaries as shown on OS / Eircode maps.

Advertisement