Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutral to the switch - what is standard/best practice?

Options
  • 09-03-2023 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi

Currently doing a full rewire of a house and have specified neutral to the switch for automation plans that I have.

Dispute as to whether this is unusual. My understanding is that while few existing buildings in Ireland would have it, it's become common for new projects including for flexibility with switches etc.

Currently in a not particularly high spec new build, built circa. 2014 that has neutrals bundled up at each switch.

My question is: what do you consider to be "standard" in Ireland now? If starting from scratch with a re-wire today would you expect there to be an extra charge for neutral to switch vs to the fitting?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I would assume it's been standard for years to have N at switches

I started looping t+e (neutral) to switches about 2005-6 ? when i wired houses

It didn't come in for smart controls at the time .It was just a better wiring system than the old singles method or 3-plate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭meercat

There’s lots of different ways of wiring the light circuits. Each rec will do what they perceive is the best way. I’d always loop L,N,E to each switch point. I definitely wouldn’t charge extra if it was a request to wire it alternately.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭The Reader

Hi all , I currently have an existing outside light at rear of house and want to transfer that light to two outside lights to my new garden shed, is this a feasible job for a DIY guy. thanks

Advertisement