Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Of Ireland vs AIB

Options
  • 07-03-2023 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

what would be the opinions and thoughts regarding AIB vs BOI for just setting up a current account ?

I have branches of both about 10-15 minutes away.

Im currently with a particular building society for my current account and have been for about 26 years but they are are really a shadow of their former excellent selves…..

I don’t expect to require a loan or a mortgage at any point although you never know, I just want to manage my money and avail of reliable general consumer banking services…

any advice on both is much appreciated…

thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Depending what you value the most. AIB app is much better, even though, poor by the European standards, is actually the best within the Irish banks. If fees is one of the concerns, than think of BOI 6 Eur per months and nearly everything is included or pay 4.50 Eur per quarter plus for each transaction except the contactless.

I'd personally choose AIB and use either Revolut/N26/EBS for daily shopping to avoid AIB fees per transaction.

If you are less independent and still like bothering people in a branch or a call centre, than BOI would be better.

I'm glad you don't consider PTSB as it's an embarrassment to even call it a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭rhinosaurious

BOI is good. The app is a bit clunky but you’ll live. Staff are friendly in branch, (my experience) and good over the phone aswell. You don’t have to pay AIBs fee for every transaction (unless you use contactless)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

I’m with AIB and never had a problem, APP is good and their customer service is Ireland based.

I recently changed my credit card to BOI and had reason to contact them a few times the past few days as I had problems with the card and logging into my account. I’ve actually never encountered such an incompetent service in all my life, centre is based in India, huge time delay on phone, agents don’t have ample, competent knowledge of English to help the customer so BOI is a big NO from me.

Have you considered credit union current account? Has everything you seem to need and cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

I have, at different times, dealt with AIB, BOI, KBC, PTSB and Ulster. If you are coming for KBC then you'll be in familiar territory, all three (KBC, AIB and BOI) are close to the bottom of the barrel. Obviously better than PTSB, but frankly it's the difference between awful and dreadful. Ulster Bank were in a different league entirely.

Superficially, AIB have a better app, but their underlying systems are totally antiquated and there are a lot of gaps. Their customer service operate 9-5 Mon-Fri and contacting them and getting a satisfactory response/resolution is close to impossible. Their fraud and security systems are appallingly amateurish - a totally hamfisted cock-up.

Just pick one ,keep your expectations low and hold your nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Forgotten I’d started this thread, thanks for the replies though, all very much appreciated. Food for thought..

looks like BOI might be better. Want to get paid into it, want to withdraw mostly via atm, in person visits will be few and far between but when I’d prefer or require to talk to or transact with someone in person I want suitably experienced, proactive, knowledgeable and professionally enthusiastic individuals….

current building society despite crap and unprofessional staffing levels my last experience with someone in person was horrendous. Like talking to something behind glass in Madame Tussaud’s, except less useful.

thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement