Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting around Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

When I first started cycling that route to work I did wonder why all the manhole covers were installed in the 'bike lane'. It used to be dreadful heading eastbound, with a surface like a corrugated roof, but that's been improved since, thankfully. I think the point about them having been surface ducts is mentioned as a counterbalance to the ridiculous claims by some that Galway has invested heavily in cycling infrastructure, when that is plainly not true. The majority of it is rebadged existing infrastructure, like these service ducts, or just painted lines. The latter includes what is widely considered to be the worst 'cycling lane' in the whole country (Doughiska).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

smooth even surface, should be thankful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Quite clearly not even given the ups and downs for every entrance/exit, but you knew that.

don't see any bumps/holes, which is what ye complain about in other areas.

It's not even just that. If I drive down that road I have to yield 3 times at pedestrian crossings with traffic lights. If I cycle on the bike lane I have to yield at those three traffic lights plus an additional 15 other minor entrances etc. Then the cycle lane disappears completely at 4 separate bus stops, with no dropped curb to get down onto the road, and instead some have markings indicating that remaining narrow strip of footpath has become a shared space for people on foot and and bikes to mix, which is absolute madness. And at the Castlegar GAA end the bike lane just ends suddenly at a high curb with no way provided to get down onto the road.

So faced with a choice of a slow, uncomfortable and dangerous obstacle course of a bike lane, or just staying on the road when travelling by bike here, you can guess which I choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭what_traffic

That is what they are. Ya can take it or leave. I can only presume the roads engineers who did it over 30yrs ago made the footpath and service duct(finished with tarmacadam not concrete; there is a clue in that) the width it was designed to be to allow service motor vehicles drive and park on it so as not to impeded car traffic flow on the road carriageway - so very weird for you to be complaining about this! ha ha

Galway City Council in the 2016 Galway Transportation Study gave themselves a "D" rating for the Doughiska Road - which was only built in 2008/2009 That photo was taken the year in September 2009 if memory serves me correct.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I am a failed cyclist, due to some physical problems I just can't get around galway with the cycling facilities as they are. The up and down off paths and constant manhole cover issues have meant that pain issues I suffer with get a hammering. Cycling on the road would be the logical option but I don't travel at a speed I'd feel comfortable or confident mixing with motorised traffic.

As such I am mostly a pedestrian and have walked all areas of the city and my observation is the motor vehicles most assuredly get priority, I've no problem with that, my problem is that any other option to travel in the city feels like it gets third world funding, the difference is shocking

"

Building the ring road will free up the city in so many different ways for pedestrians, for cyclists, being able to use road space much more efficiently for these people.

"

Taoiseach promising lots of free space today in Moycullen for the bypass opening there once the Ring Road is been built? Do I believe him? Maybe Galway City Council did not get the memo. Weirdly Taoiseach made no mention of what is to be done with the freed up space in Moycullen now that bypass is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭rustyfrog

Will they install the Salthill Cycleway once the ring road is built...? Try get them to commit to any actual road where their voters like to park or get priority access.

• Advertisement

cyle lane shouldn't be on the prom

top of the hill on bishop O'Donnell rd down onto threadneedle road, on dr manix rd and headed out to sea road. covers the schools which should be a priority and this i could stand over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

100%. That could easily be joined up with Millars Lane and Kingston Road, possibly through the Golf Club.

Unfortunately, it’s a bit of a logical idea so it’s hard to see the cycling “campaigners” going for it and letting go of their trophy of the prom.

Yeah but when the ring road is built then there'll be space for both, right?

Genuine question, why shouldn't it be on both if there is space on both?

I'm reminded of a comment by one of the City Tribune journalists a year or two ago that there was no need to provide bike lanes on the Kingston Road because there are already bike lanes on the WDR that people on bikes could use. I wonder would he take the same view if there was a proposal to, for example, put a bus gate at either end of Kingston Road and Taylor's Hill, which only let residents and buses use those roads. Would the point of view that drivers can just use the WDR gain traction, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

100% correct. The prom is a family destination. You need parking available at destinations, it's simple.

Without parking, you make the prom a restricted access point, only available for individuals, or families living within the vicinity.

Unless of course, there is a thorough tram services available, which can give any access to the prom, faster than if they were driving.

Say there is a family living on the Cappagh Road with 3 children, aged 2, 6, and 8. How are that family expected to access the prom, without parking being available?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Public transport works best for regular commutes, typically for work, study, etc.

Very few people use it for leisure because those journeys are more unpredictable and multi person.

That's why roads with schools or workplaces on them should be a far higher priority for cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Reliable public transportation works for commutes. If you live in Galway and need to be in work at a specified time, for example if you’re someone who’s paid by the hour, you can’t use public transport to get to work. I tried it several times years ago and it just wasn’t reliable enough so I drove every day instead and sat in traffic for 45 minutes.

Most of people using busses in Galway were people who clearly had no jobs. I can only imagine the situation is worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭berrecka

I would love to see a multistory or underground carpark at Leisureland where there is so much unused (Council owned) space, a few disabled spaces along the length of the prom, and a carpark at either end of the prom (there are already a few in the village end, and there should be space at the Spinnaker end). Free up the road not only for active travellers, but also so that the beautiful view of the prom and bay can be enjoyed, rather than just the view of the cars along it. Wishful thinking, I know.

There are a few people in our society who genuinely have to park immediately adjacent to their destination, and these people absolutely must be provided for, but the rest of us can walk short distances from carparks to destinations. It reminds me of peoples attitudes to parking at the door of the supermarket

@CuriousCucumber "100% correct. The prom is a family destination. You need parking available at destinations, it's simple. Without parking, you make the prom a restricted access point, only available for individuals, or families living within the vicinity."

I'm confused. You're describing a situation where all parking within walking distance of them Prom is removed but I'm pretty sure no one has ever proposed doing that or anything even remotely close. Even the cycle lane plan that was torpedoed last year retained three quarters of the parking. You're hardly saying that if people now have to cross from Rockbarton Road instead of parking on the sea side, or have to walk from Salthill Carpark to Ladies' Beach, they are being prevented from visiting the Prom?

Also, if we're concerned about people who don't live in the vicinity not having access does that also apply to the 20% of Galway households that don't have access to a car? And does it apply to the even greater number who live in a household with a car but don't themselves drive? (I'm reminded of my own teenagers who rely on buses to get them to Salthill on sunny days during the summer.) This is a significant percentage of the population of Galway which is already restricted from accessing the Prom today, never mind some hypothetical restriction from a relatively small reduction in parking places at some undetermined point in the future.

Any point west of the river within Galway city limits is less than a 20 minute bike ride from the Prom. Even Roscam is only max 30 minutes away. If you try to travel to Salthill on a sunny day you know you are going to be lucky to get a parking place, and may end up having to walk quite a distance, or doing multiple loops between the two roundabouts hoping a space will free up. Then, when it's time to leave, you're likely to be stuck in a long tailback, or you need to cut your day short to try to avoid that. Imagine instead knowing that 20 minutes after leaving home you were going to be sitting on the sand and, no matter what time you decide to leave, you would be in your door 20 minutes later. If you look at the bike parking on the Prom on a nice day you will see many people are already taking that option, but it's only a fraction of the potential because so many people are too concerned about their safety if they take to Galway's roads on a bike. If we provided safe routes for them to cycle we could be giving another transport option to all those Galway residents who don't have the option of getting there by car.

@CuriousCucumber "Unless of course, there is a thorough tram services available, which can give any access to the prom, faster than if they were driving."

How did you arrive at the conclusion that the only viable alternative to driving is a tram? Are buses and cycling just not suitable options for people who own cars? I get that buses and bike facilities in Galway leave a lot to be desired currently but surely improving them to a level, where they are useable for many more people than they are now, is much more easily achievable than building a tram system?

@CuriousCucumber "Say there is a family living on the Cappagh Road with 3 children, aged 2, 6, and 8. How are that family expected to access the prom, without parking being available?"

I can think of a number of families I know personally who already do this journey by bus and/or bike.

The 410 gets you from Cappagh Road to the Prom in less than 15 minutes on a good day. On the downside it's only every 60 minutes and finishes early in the evening, and will take longer in traffic, but then so would a car.

A cargo bike would be perfect for this, and there are four families I know in the Knocknacarra area who have gone from 2 cars to 1 car + 1 cargo bike for their daily transport needs, but there are even more accessible options. You could have the 2 younger kids travelling on child seats (€50 approx. each) on their parents' bikes. Or you could have the 6 year old on a tag along bike (from €80 for a connector for their own bike or from €130 for a complete unit) behind one of the parents. An 8 year old can cycle between the parents (front and back) for 15 minutes. Some people are already doing this but many more are deterred by safety concerns. Think how many more could do it if safe infrastructure was provided. Think how many parking space could be freed up if people didn't feel compelled to drive when they only live a short distance away.

The 410 is a poor link between Knocknacarra and Salthill. If you're in the new estate on upper Clybaun Rd, it's a 26min (2km) walk to get the bus that frequently doesn't show.

Public transport is the key part of solving the transport problem but it needs huge work across the city, the money and energy should be going into that, not the ring road.

• Advertisement

I'm sitting on a bus right now.

Almost everyone on it looks like they have a job that they're heading home from.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

At 07h00 this morning, it was all workers on the bus going to work on the Salthill to Parkmore bus. What was annoying was the 06h40 #401 was cancelled this morning from Salthill. AHHHH. At least it was dry waiting at the bus stop but bus services have vastly improved in the City in comparison with a decade ago. We still need more shelters and increased bus frequency on routes. Once Cross City Bus Connects is in action can only see bus usage amongst workers, students and other citizens increase in the City. The far more difficult situation ahead for Galway City is getting people from the surrounding towns into buses.

The case of the disappearing 401s is chronic! I cant count the amount of times I've had to turn around, load up the kids in the car, or hailed a cab, because buses due and listed on the TFI app just disappear off the listing, and when one eventually passes its too full to let us on.

I've been told its because they cant hire enough bus drivers, but if that's the case, don't pretend the bus is coming and then just ghost us!!

Good to know alright - should have checked the app before leaving the house, I need to get into this habit - the info helps greatly though.

Once I knew at the bus stop I just walked into town and got bus from there. Better than waiting at the stop; so the app is great to have even if the bus does not show.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭sasal

Transit is a great app for public transport.

Galway City's draft Climate Action Plan is out for consultation, if anyone on here wants to make submissions on bike lanes, buses, parking, or non-transport related, but climate-related issues. We should draft a submission together 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭xckjoo

This one? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thetransitapp.droid

Thanks for that. Hadn't heard of it before but looks great. TFI app is a bit of a pain to use

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭sasal

That's it.

BE are expanding a number of their regional services next week, goodness only knows where they're getting the drivers from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I see Cllr Crowe is calling for the College Road/Lough Atalia Road racetrack to be re-instated ☺️

Advertisement