Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Entry Garda Warrant

Options
  • 04-03-2023 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi There, I don't know where to post my question.

If Gardaī arrive at a private house with a warrant, to search the property with a K9 but there's only a minor present in the house at the time. Can they enter the house without parental permission to carry out a search?

I'd be very grateful if you could advise where I could get an answer. Thanking you in advance.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Confirm your email address so you can post properly, then I'll move this to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LC2611

@Spear I have confirmed my email address

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

And moved accordingly. Bear in mind any kind of case specific legal advice is banned sitewide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Speaking hypotechically, there are a few unknown variables here, the age of the minor being one

A Gardaí might legitimately form a view that the minor is too young to be left alone and get Tusla to take the minor into care, and now they have an empty house which they can search.

For an older minor, the gender might be a factor, several male Gardaí entering a house with a female minor might be unwise, so they might arrange a female Gardaí to be present.

Also, warrents can be issued under various different acts, and different "rules" or conditions can apply. but mostly Gardaí can use force to gain entry to execute a warrent, so permission of the home owner is not required to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,113 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What GerardKeating said.

If you're talking about a seventeen-year old, this is absolutely not an issue. If you're talking about a seven-year old, there's a bigger issue, which is why a seven-year old has been left alone in the house.

In between, it's not going to stop the search proceeding, but the guards will need to deal with the minor with an appropriate degree of sensitivity. If they fail to do that, there might be some basis for a complaint about their handling of the matter, but I don't see that it would affect either the legality of the search or the admissibility of any evidence that the search discloses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There was a case in the 1990s, where a Customs officer dipped a parked car for red(?) diesel on the street. Car was occupied by a child. If I'm correct, it was considered legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Absolutely they an enter the house with out permission . If its a search warrant for drugs theft or sec 10 (evidence) who's there matters not a jot.

the bigger issue is why there's a child in the house all alone . depending on the age etc. having a child in a house with drugs weapons or a load of stolen stuff is a tusla referral at least and possible additional prosecution

even of nothing was found there could be consequences

Advertisement