Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thule bike rack

Options
  • 03-03-2023 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Looking at bike racks.

Thinking of the thule proride 598.

Anyone own one?

Opinions on it?

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Having never owned a roof mounted rack, do you have a tow bar mount available to you? If so, tow bar carriers are far less hassle to get bikes on and off of than roof-mounted types, particularly if either a) you are short and/or b) the car sits high off the ground. I have a thule easy fold and it's great. Between it and the tow bar mount fitting, it wasn't cheap but its earned its keep many times over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Max Q

Have 2 proride 598's and I find them good. I carry road bikes and mountain bikes with them. Just be careful if you're considering transporting e-mtbs on them. The 598's have a bike weight limit of 20kg and most full power e-mtbs weigh more than this. Lightweight e-mtb's should be fine

Post edited by Max Q on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Had a 598 for my hardball, and never had a bother with it. 2 friends had the same.

Had to get rid though as went e-mtb and besides the rack not being rated for it as mentioned by Max Q, I also didn't fancy trying to lift 20kg up there after a long spin 😯

So for now it's either in the boot of my car or under the bed in the van, as I can't justify the cost of both a towbar and a decent rack when I'm planning on changing the car soon anyway.

Advertisement