Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Derelict Properties Policy

Options
  • 02-03-2023 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭

This is the second time in the past few weeks that I've seen a property owner losing a property after a derelict property notice has been slammed onto a building. The first was a fairly new looking bungalow that ended up being bought by a "local couple".

The latest one is this:

‘Give elderly man back his home,’ Limerick council told - Limerick Live (limerickleader.ie)

Even if the old fella were compensated he wouldn't have enough money to buy anywhere to live.

It seems to me that, if some local is interested in buying a property that needs a lick of paint and the garden tidied up, they can notify the local authority and get a derelict property notice stuck on the building, then sit back and hope that the owner doesn't tidy up the property, and eventually get their hands on the property for way less than the market value. Of course I could be wrong. 😜

I expect this kind of thing for eyesore properties in the middle of towns and cities, but not so much for properties out in the sticks. A lot of people have left their rural properties over the years and emigrated, but they probably have it in their heads that they're going to return one day and take up residence again.

It would be a hell of a shock for a person to return home after a few years and find someone living in their auctioned off old property. A lot of them wouldn't be contactable while they're hundreds or thousands of miles away, moving around as they do, so they wouldn't have a clue that a derelict property notice existed.

I don't think any compensation is due unless a claim is lodged within 12 months of a property being sold, so a person could end up with nothing instead of peanuts' worth of compensation that they would get.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The council can't just take these properties. They have to be CPO'd through ABP.

There are many instances of ABP rejecting the CPO's.

And if someone leaves their property to rot for years and are uncontactable by the authorities, then they only have themselves to blame.

I find some the details in that case very hard to believe. The man is hardly homeless seeing as he's been living with a relative for 4 years. An elderly man with health issues is not going to be able to return to a home that is derelict and overgrown. I also find it hard to believe that he moved so far away that he was uncontactable by the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I'm extremely sceptical about the case cited in that article. I have relatives in that area and would have visited there quite a lot over the years. I don't ever remember that house looking anything other than abandoned and essentially derelict.

This is how it looked 13 years ago;

County Limerick

https://maps.app.goo.gl/zyEUctodvdqJCrhm6

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

From what I can make out proper order was followed here. I'd also be of the opinion that if the man was compensated to the tune of 45k he could easily find another derelict house in the area for that price

[The owner] left the property to stay with a relative for four years

Surely has some rights to the accomodation that he is currently living in with the relative?

You have to give the man a chance. This man wasn’t aware, now he is homeless. It is flawed. There was no proper engagement, just site notices.

and

The property was entered on the Derelict Sites Register in March 2020

The man had over 32 months from March 2020 until January 2023 to visit his house and engage with the council... How much more of a chance does he need?

Advertisement