Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Festival 2023

Options
  • 28-02-2023 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

With the level of activity on this forum of late, I’m not sure how many will be posting for Cheltenham this year but general thread started here in any case…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

I started to have a proper look at some of the handicaps today, now that the races are really starting to take shape. In the Grand Annual, I liked the look of GREY DIAMOND at 20/1. It must be said that his horse hasn't won in two years, but he ran a very good third over course and distance in November, behind two horses who went on to boost the form subsequently, and he was a faller last time out when going well two out. While it's far from ideal to come here after a fall, I feel if he can get a clear round, he has some decent recent course form and could be potentially well-handicapped. In terms of the trends, the English trainers have had the upper hand in this race over the last ten years or so, and I think horses with a similar profile to this selection have won the race in recent times also – Sky Pirate is one that comes to mind, although he had won over course and distance in the season he won this race.  All in all, I think he could potentially run a big race at a nice e/w price. It’s the hope that kills you, but looking forward to it all now though nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,123 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

8 more sleeps!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Going to be my first trip to the festival this year! Cannot wait

/runs off to study even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭gazza1

Fastorslow blue across the board for the Ultima.

I sincerely hope he doesn't go that route and goes plate instead.

Would surely be a strange route based on what he's ran in and would go totally against trends for the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

Going predictions for the four days and the two different courses?

Tuesday - Old Course (sharper)

Wednesday - Old Course (sharper)

Thursday - New Course (more galloping)

Friday - New Course (more galloping)

Declarations out tomorrow or Saturday?

I think it’s 48 hour declarations? I’m open to correction on that though

Post edited by howareyakid on

Bought the Independent today and could hardly find one word about the Cheltenham Festival in the whole paper. Remember them doing great supplements in the last few years with interviews with trainers, nostalgia pieces, previews etc. Maybe Paul Kimmage’s recent articles on horse racing have something to do with it…

• Advertisement

The more I think about it, the more I think Honeysuckle is going to go out on a high in this Mares' Hurdle. For me, Marie's Rock is her only real threat in the race. Echoes In Rain has it all to prove for me, especially around Cheltenham, as does Brandy Love. Honeysuckle has been there and done that, and although she's been beaten this season, she's hardly been disgraced, and a 4 3/4 length second to State Man still has to be the best piece of form of any of the other mares in the race. Honeysuckle is the bet for me, and I think the race will come down to her and Marie's Rock if she goes here which looks most likely I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

I have to agree Honeysuckle for me.

Her runs have been absolutely fine this season. Bet365 have boosted her out to 4/1

• Registered Users Posts: 6 yaboyabobotpl

William Hill go Evens Constitution Hill in the Hurdle!

Do they know something we don't?

Granted, only allowed a £10 bet, but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

One more sleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

My D1 first glance pot and Scoop6

Facilevega/iletaittemps/tahmuras, jonbon, thegoffer/coachrambler/oscarelite, constitutionhill, epatante/honeysuckle/mariesrock, tekea/bad,

Facilevega/iletaittemps/tahmuras, jonbon, thegoffer/coachrambler/oscarelite epatante/honeysuckle/mariesrock, tekea/bad,gaillarddumesnil

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

Currently Soft (heavy in places) and bucketing down

Great if she could. She certainly has Cheltenham form which is very important here. As for all this rain I'm getting more keen on curach rambler in the ultima

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭standardg60

This is going to cause a lot of upsets, they were watering to maintain good to soft a couple of weeks ago.

Ante post bets based on good to soft form are going down the tubes, will make it very interesting that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Less than 24 hours 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭lizzyjane

Where are you hearing this. Nothing on the Cheltenham racecourse Twitter page about the going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭lizzyjane

Thanks for that. Don't know why that poster is spoofing for with his heavy ground.

Ground showing up as soft on the Racing Post app currently.

I think Vauban @18-1 is great ew value in the CH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭standardg60

Great day, some fairy tale results, but my God what on earth is Constitution Hill?

'You want me to do a couple of laps of this field? No problem. You don't see a stride at the last? No worries i do'. He has never turned a hair before, during, or after a race, he was asleep in his box at 12 o'clock. Absolute freak.

I've backed Good Land for the Ballymore, Barry Connell said he was coming back for the double, good enough for me after today. Honeysuckle/State Man form is there for all to see, so with rain forecast for Thursday really fancy Teahupoo for the stayers now.

Anything Michael O'Sullivan rides is worth backing at this stage, i think he's the next Ruby Walsh.

I've been a fan of Gaelic Warrior for some time. The ballymore is a strange race in that being the opening race on the second day some jockeys tend to over compensate for perceived mistakes they made,moved too quick,held Back too long,on day one.no such worries, I think,with gaelic warrior and young mullins today.

Advertisement