Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyer asking for phone number after giving them my IBAN?

Options
  • 28-02-2023 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Wondering if this is a scam. I'm selling some books on Adverts.ie to a new user (0 rep and never dealt with them before). I told them originally I could accept PayPal and they said fine. Now they are saying they they don't use PayPal but can pay by bank transfer and they asked me for the IBAN which I gave them.

Now they are asking for my phone number. Is this safe to give them or could they use it in conjunction with the IBAN in some form of scam? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Thanks. By any chance would you know what the scam might be. If I was dealing with someone with lots of rep and especially if I had dealt with them several times before I wouldn't be too suspicious if they wanted to pay by bank transfer and asked me for my number but this one has my spidey sense twitching.

Edit: They have now said to me "or you full name, because I can't send money only to your iban".

They claim they are sending from their AIB to my AIB.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sound a bit strange. I am aware of some systems that do a secondary validation against the actual account name, but not against a telephone number or a client name...

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Cheers. My sister came to the rescue and offered me the use of her Revolut code so I asked the buyer to transfer using that instead and she sent it across that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Madd002

I used to do this all the time get iban or give iban and then I ask them to PM me their phone number and name to set up as payee, if I sell something or want to pay someone I'll take pic of transfer to send to them to prove payment. Now in saying that mine were genuine sellers with great feedback. I'd delete their details straight away after payment was made. Now have revolut so going forward wont be doing above anymore...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I don't necessarily think it was a scam. With IBAN, you are expected to give the name of the account holder as well.

Or, alternatively, as you were both with AIB, you didn't need to give the IBAN at all, you can just give them your mobile number and they can transfer the funds directly to you (same as Revolut)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

The awful Irish banks want full names and Iban and sometimes even bank names and addresses. So most of the time it's just the Irish banks being set up in 1960's mode.

Some banks offer a send to number for small amounts. It's funny how everybody jumps to scams.

You do know people can only send money to an Iban, they can't do anything else with it.

So frustrating when selling stuff on Facebook, donedeal and adverts and every dodgy fecker wants to call to the house 🤣🤣 when I offer free delivery 🤣🤣🤣😂

Post edited by RCSATELLITES on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,380 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes, a potential scammer can't do much with your IBAN. I know most of us don't do it any more but if you write a personal cheque and hand it to someone, all the details reguired to generate your IBAN (branch sort code & account no.) are there at the foot of the cheque.

According to Charlie Weston in the Indo, 19 million cheques were written in Ireland last year. I think it's still the most common method of payment in the agricultural sector. So plenty of opportunities for scammers, if the IBAN alone could be used to bust into your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

So the big scam turned out to be a genuine buyer. Hopefully the seller is as genuine and sends the books promptly.

Case closed.

• Not a scam situation imo, you can’t extract money out just using IBAN & name. It’s a method to pay an entity. Paying out of an account is done via app authentication. Eg, you give me your IBAN and name, I set up up as a recognisable payee in my banking app, and then pay you from the app. In another situation you have an online business and I buy something from you using my debit card details, then my banking app pops up a message on my phone asking me to authenticate it through my app in case somebody else has got hold of my card and is trying to use it for an online transaction without my knowing.

For future reference, you don't need a paypal account to pay via paypal. You (the seller) can generate a "pay me" link via paypal. They can then use their payment method of choice to pay via that link, though I'm unaware if bank transfer is an option.

Nevertheless, you don't have to be a regular user to pay via paypal. The protections offered to both buyer and seller going this route are much greater than anything else, without the need for exchanging any personal information. If someone wants to avoid payapl, especially as a buyer (given the fact that buyers are protected to a much greater extent), It's a good sign that they're trying to circumvent those protections.

• Advertisement
Advertisement