Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link Deco M5....what speed am I really getting?

Options
  • 27-02-2023 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maybe a silly question, and please keep answers relatively straightforward, because as you're about to see, I'm not overly au fait on these things....!

Story is:

• had fibre broadband installed in the house last week - supposed to be download speeds up to 500 Mbps
    • Working great at the end of the house where the modem/router is, but not so great elsewhere, so sought advice from ISP and in a local shop and ended up buying a TP-Link Deco M5 system over the weekend.
    • Managed to successfully set it up today. But here's what I'm wondering about....

Taking a spot in the hallway for example, where I have one of the Deco units installed:

• When I run the speed test on my phone that I always used (Speed Test by Ookla), it's telling me download speed right now is 92 Mbps
    • When I instead run the speed test that's in the Deco app, it's telling me download speed is 487 Mbps

Even 92 is a vast improvement over what we used to have, but wondering how or why there could be such a discrepancy between the two, and which is more likely to be accurate?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭sligopaul

Deco app is telling you the speed for the Mesh connected to the Router

Speeds do fall off rapidly , I also have 5 M5 meshes around my house, they improve things but with modern fibre I have generally seen 60 - 120 mb around the house for 500 mb at source fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

speeds advertised by the ISP are wired speeds, speeds over wifi are variable dependent on distance from router, band connected to, signal interferance etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Deco app is likely not measuring speed from your phone to that unit, I would expect its from the primary Deco unit to the Internet. Have you replace the ISP router with the Deco or set it up in Access Point mode? In any event your primary Deco unit would have a wired connection so would expect it to measure full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Thanks to all for the prompt replies, but can't emphasise enough....I really do have little or no understanding of how these things actually work.

50-something-year-old me is so bad at certain "newfangled" things that I can't even decide on the most appropriate emoji to add to the end of that last sentence.

Breaking it down into bare basics, it seems that 92 is the speed that a device there (e.g. my phone) would have to work with, as per the Ookla speed test? Rather than 487, as per the Deco app speed test?

As I said, 92 is still a vast improvement on what we used to have, and would be more than happy with it. But overall, am just trying to get things straight in my somewhat backward brain.

Thanks again.

Advertisement