Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation on the Galway Traffic forum.

Options
  • 26-02-2023 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭

connemara man9:07 am

MOD NOTE

@[Deleted User] please stop referencing an "anti road movement" as by your own admission an organised one doesn't exist, if you continue it will be considered trolling

This needs clarification because there clearly is an anti road movement. There may not be a specific one named for Galway but there are numerous groups that oppose new road building.

Sea Slacker posted a reasonable explanation of why he used the term & it was dismissed. Are posters now banned from stating that there are groups, organised or otherwise, that oppose roadbuilding ? The thread is supposed to be about Galway traffic & not just cycling & foot traffic.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just to add that the Mod has posted the following clarification.

MOD NOTE

he term the movement implies a conspiracy theory, anyone who want to talk about anti traffic/bypass/public transport or pro traffic/bypass/public transport groups, in those terms can

As long as conversation is done in a civil manor so people can engage legitimately

I cannot agree that the word "movement" implies a conspiracy but "groups" is ok.

I haven’t been back, as my sanction is two weeks and I intend to serve it.

I agree that “groups” is insufficient and I am currently looking for other phrasing to refer to the “group of groups and individuals whether affiliated or not who act to advocate for a given cause”.

Oh….kay…..

So, after I was asked not to post for two weeks for calling the group on one side a “movement”, I posted this thread in Politics forum, with the question of “what do you call such a group?”.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058285973/how-do-you-refer-to-a-group-with-a-political-cause#latest

It has just been closed by one of the Politics Mods, who just happens to be one of the posters with the biggest problems with my use of the word “movement” and who has recalled details of my posts which I do not recall posting in the first place. He says he closed it because “it wasn’t a political thread” and that I hadn’t read the charter. I fail to spot in the charter where this kind of post seeking clarification about political terminology can be inferred to be, or has been explicitly, prohibited.

I’ve been clear in my explanations about the words I use and their meaning. I would hope that the same would be afforded me in explaining the decisions made against me, and a review whether there was a red mist problem involved with it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The mod posted it was not a political discussion, which means it is not appropriate for that forum

Are you trying to suggest it is a political discussion?

Well, if you don’t post a question about proper political terminology on the Politics forum, where do you post it? Is there a place on Boards.ie where that question gets answered by political people?

I mean, I would see it as similar to how questions about how to fly a plane & about how busy Dublin airport is sit side by side in the Aircraft forum.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you are attempting to discuss how rules are applied in different forums this (Help Desk) is where to do it.

The mod has issued an instruction. An instruction which is very easy to follow and one that really should not be considered particularly controversial.

But I’m not on about the Rules as they pertain. I’m on about how, having found a method of speaking that on Boards.ie is sanctionable, do I find an alternative method in general use that I can then being back to my conversation. I ask in the expert forum on political discourse what alternate forms could be used. I am prevented from doing so by one of the posters who takes massive issue with what I say, who just happens to decide what is & isn’t allowed on political discourse. I seek an alternate avenue to ask the question and get no answer to that question, only a reframing of my request to make the “go away” easy.

I believe now that I cannot expect to be dealt with in an impartial manner. My best wishes to Boards.ie.

Advertisement