Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you refer to a group with a political cause?

Options
  • 26-02-2023 11:44am

Alright, without getting into the minutia of the thread I’ve come from, I want to ask ye experts about this.

say there’s a proposal to (do a thing), and some people are for it and some are against.

there’s the (do a thing) Party- a political party formed to (do a thing)

there’s the (do a thing) association- an advocacy group formed to advocate for people to (do a thing)

There’s (do a thing) advocates- people outside the (do a thing) organisations who actively advocate for (do a thing)

there’s (do a thing) voters- hear the idea and support it on ballots

and (do a thing) supporters- who like the idea

I’ve been referring to the above as a Movement, and in some places I’ve been sanctioned for that because Movement advocates have taken “Movement” to mean

-a secret Association working clandestinely to (do the thing)

and have taken my use of the word as an accusation of conspiracy.

What’s the right way to refer to the (do the thing) supportive grouping, from supporter to Party? If it’s not “a Movement”, then what is it?

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Listen to Alice's restaurant massacree by Arlo Guthrie.

Google is your friend.

Respectfully Sam, I have googled and “Movement” is what I came to. Obviously that is insufficient to enough people that it is deemed sanctionable against. I seek the alternative that describes the same grouping but removes the conspiracy interpretation possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As I was reading through the OP that's what I started singing in my head :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, start with an idea. Write it down so that it is concise, coherent, and that you agree with it as far as it goes.

Bounce it off your friends and colleagues. See if it flies.

Write to a few papers and post on a few websites. If it gets published in the papers, and survives the vicious attacks of the websites, you might be onto something.

But listen to the whole song - it is long but worth it.

Can we leave the sneering aside? Because it could be interpreted as a political tactic by an activist for a cause.

I’m seeking a clarification. Not smartarsery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Instead of saying anti-thing movement, perhaps you could say anti thing-movement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Grouping, lobby, camp, faction...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Campaign, association, coalition, alliance, project

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

I think the anti movement movement need to have a good look at themselves, if they exist

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: I'm going to allow this but in order for full transparency, the background behind this post is that the OP continues to refer to people opposed to the proposed Galway Ring Road as a "National Anti-Road Movememt" (and even referring to us as being well funded) despite me and others providing our reasons to be against this one particular project. The Op continues to use this almost in a trolling manner and has been asked by the mods of that particular forum to stop.

The OP asked the admins if they could put a mod (i.e. me!) on their ignore list and how would it affect a mod instruction in the politics forum.

So I can't help feel that the OP is continuing to troll here but as I'm made of thicker skin, I'll allow the discussion to continue (as long as it stays on topic) and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭growleaves

Incidentially the anti-movement movement recently moved their HQ to a new building across the road from their old one.

The move was described as an anti-movement movement movement.

Well, I have stopped since I was asked to, also abiding by a request not to post in thread for the next two weeks, and immediately came here to ask a better versed group whether I am wrong in my terminology or not. If you want to infer personal matters into that it’s on you, but I say to you now that is not the intent.

Your error is saying that I exclusively call those opposed to the Galway ring road a “national movement” to do so, instead of what I do consider it: part of the wider ”national movement” (as defined above from parties to supporters) who wish to see as much car traffic removed from the roads as possible in the belief that it will on balance improve matters. I don’t remember “well-funded”.

anyways, separate from the issue, we need to get the terminology right.

So am I correct in thinking that you are simply trying to find a correct description for people opposed to a road?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Not just a road, the entirity of people on a certain side of any given Issue from the Head of The Party About The Issue all the way down to people who only thought of The Issue when they were asked and thought “I wanna do something for The Issue”. The whole lot of em. That’s what I consider “a Movement”.

Mod: Ah ok. So therefore this is not a political discussion and so I'll close the thread.

In future, please read the charter that applies to any forum you post in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement