Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a buyers guide for FTA Combo boxes?

Options
  • 25-02-2023 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

I have a Edison Optimuss Underline 3 in 1 that is kind of breaking and TBH its a bit of a pain in the arse to use.

I was wondering if anyone has advice or a link to a guide for what I might get to replace it?

Its used to watch Irish and UK TV channels, recording stuff (usually from BBC) from the satellite dish but I'd really like something that I can retune channels easily (or even that automatically retunes).

I hear there are linux based boxes, does that mean that if I get one and need to figure stuff out I can pop a shell and mess around with config files?

Appreciate any help, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The most popular one is the Zgemma H7S triple tuner. It will do all you need. Plugins (apps) are available that will autotune when needed. All the usual features of full 7 day EPG, series linking, live pause, stream both live and recorded to anything with a web browser on your home network, control by web browser, etc etc. You can create your own favourites list(s) with any mix of terrestrial and satellite channels.

There is a GUI for all functions. No need to dabble with config files although they are highly customisable if you wish.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, so reading the previous comment, it would seem that I should be looking at the H7s box as a minumum to move off Sky, we had the price increase mail in a couple of days ago, and that's the last straw, and as we're out of contract, it should be a painless exit.

We've 2 x Sky + HD boxes at the moment, and our main TV is 4K capable, so I am wondering if we should be looking further up market than the H7s, the total cost of Sky is no longer acceptable, we're paying way over the odds, with multi room HD and several options, broadband and phone, with a couple of call packages, we're now looking at close on €150 a month, which is no longer acceptable, it's served us well for a long time. but there's now only the 2 of us living here, and we have to reduce the outgoings, and this is a prime candidate for the chop.

We can upgrade to FTTH soon, at present we're on FTTC, all we need is OPW to get out of the garden so that we can get access to the duct in from the road to install the fibre, they're blocking access to a small access hatch, and dish wise, we've a non standard size dish on Astra, with a multiswitch that's got spare capacity on it, and it's also set up for Saorview, which works fine on the main and one other LG TV that also has sat tuner, and we've both WiFi and cabled gigabit ethernet running to the main TV, a LG smart TV, with Sat tuner, and ethernet.

We've also got an Ariva 153 that doesn't get used much, it's messy and the EPG isn't great, and I've not found an easy way to get it to pick up the channel changes that are a regular fact of life on Astra.

I'm reasonably tech savvy, so I'm up for having to do a bit of work to get it all working, the resistance to moving before now has been the simplicity of the Sky EPG system, but from what's been said above, we can now get a viable EPG for a lot less than what we're spending, about the only thing we'll lose is the legacy Sky F1 package, and there's no way I'm paying them for sports, we'd not be watching it, but we have to reduce this stupid level of spend, while Sky was a premium service, we sort of sucked it up, but even the EPG is unreliable now, and one of the boxes is starting to play up at times, the picture starts pixellating, and I think it's possibly software based, as if I power the box down, to standby, and then back on, the issue goes away, unless it's the disk drive that's starting to fail, and if that's the case, then we are facing a replacement, and upgrading to Sky Q will be messy, the multiswitch would need an upgrade to allow that to work.

So, is the H7S the right box to move towards, I'd probably look at chopping the multi room and put the H7s in on the "second set" to get it up and running, and to the point where I understand it and we're happy, and if we're happy, it's then a case of deciding if we get another H7s box, or stream from that box on to the other sets.

So, ideas, thoughts, guidance all will be appreciated, it's time to ring the changes, and from what I can see of it, with a bit of work, we're going to save a lot and lose very little.

Thanks

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

The H7S is the best bang for buck. You can get far more expensive boxes that might be better build quality but offer little else in extra features. BTW the H7S is 4K compatible but there's nothing broadcast FTA other than demo channels. The initial setup is the hardest bit and even then there is a wizard to guide you through. In most cases the default apps (known as plugins) cover most features. You can easily add more including "auto-bouquets" which will scan for frequency changes and update as needed. Bouquets is the name for channel lists. Most people also create their own favourites list.

By far the most useful feature is the WEBIF web interface. By simply entering the box IP address (192.168.xxx.xxx) into any device on your home network you can access and control the box. It will let you stream live or recorded, read the EPG, set timers, edit bouquets etc etc

The monitor symbol beside each channel will open that stream. The other symbol is a detailed EPG for that channel. Clicking the channel name will switch the box to that channel. The other items on the side bar open different pages to view/edit timers, autotimers (series linking). The Movies heading is a list of existing recordings.

That's briliant, many thanks, I think it's time to bite the bullet and get one of these to replace the second HD box, and with how much we're paying Sky, it won't take long to pay for it, I've seen the guide thread, which will take some reading, but I think it will be worth the effort.

Thanks, I'm not sure when it will happen, a lot will depend on getting OPW out of the way, they were supposed to have finished over 12 months ago, my patience is wearing more than thin at this stage, they seem to have 2 speeds, dead slow and stop.

I'm sure I will be back with queries at some stage,

No worries, you'll always find someone here to help if you do get stuck. Plus the box will have payed for itself within a few months compared to Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

The ZGemma H7S is very popular in Ireland as it has 2 Satellite and 1 Saorview Tuners. Each tuner lets you record/watch a channel at the same time.

So that setup would cover most scenarios in Ireland where you want to watch one channel and record another at the same time.

The H7S is decent (I have one myself) but has been around nearly 6 years now so not exactly the latest tech. It is hard to find that 2xSat, 1xTerrestrial tuner combination in boxes though.

My parents have a Gigablue Trio 4k and I would say it is a slightly better box performance wise although it has only one sat tuner. I also have a Gigablue UHD UE 4k which is better again. When I say better, (apart from tuners) the features are pretty much the same. The difference is mainly that the H7S may hang for a few seconds when busy. This is rare though (maybe once a week hanging for 10 seconds) and I do push the box a bit.

The main thing is to work out how many tuners you think you will need and buy based on that. I see a lot of boxes now run Android as well so that may be a consideration. After that, as long as you buy from one of the bigger manufacturers (Amiko, AX, Edision, Formuler, Gigablue, Octagon, VU+, Zgemma etc.) you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If you get a H7S i would be splitting your aerial feed to box and tv to allow you to view on tv while recording on box.

Long since done, the main TV is LG smart TV, so using HDMI from the Sky box, and there's separate Sat and terrestrial feeds into the TV, one of the reasons for putting the multiswitch in a few years ago, between Sky and terrestrial TV feeds, I'm using 8 different feeds between Sky and Saorview at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I need to sort a replacement sat box for my parents as BBC SD channels are due to be switched off in 2024. They currently use an old SD Sky box, no subscription.

Am I right in thinking the best for them is a Humax box with the freesat guide? If so could anyone recommend one. It can be an older model which I might be able to pick up second hand, as long as it's future proof for picking up all the channels. No need for recording or app functions.

Oh one other thing, they could do with a new TV as well where I could recommend one with freesat built in, but am I right in thinking a sat box would be more straightforward for them to use, because I'd image today's smart TV's wouldn't be suitable for them not being tech savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I get a Sunday newspaper which has a magazine with the weeks TV, two pages for each day. I only have Now and Next on my FTA satellite box EPG, but that is fine for me. If they only watch BBC and a small number of other channels, a new TV should do the job for them. They can figure out how to use the remote to do the basic functions, if they don't want to use the Smart stuff.

• Advertisement

If the tv is old it might be using scart technology. Check tv has HDMI ports .

Smart tvs usually need a lan connection to work and do they have internet.

I find a sat box better for finding channels over my tv

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The simplest replacement box would be the Manhattan SX Freesat HD receiver, less than €100.

Channels update auto update as required, Sky like interface. Small tidy box.

The only negative would be the remote control, small for older hands. I assume a larger r/c can be programmed to work with the box if required.

To me the point of freesat guide for them is it auto tunes in new channels or when channels change frequency its done automatically. I'm assuming Humax boxs work that way like their Sky sd box does? Buy yes maybe a basic HD box would do however a cheap one I bought last year as a backup is slow and cumbersome to use though does the job.

I find a sat box better for finding channels over my tv

Yeah that's what I thought. Had a Panasonic plasma with sat tuner not Freesat yonks ago and recall I didn't care for the interface but maybe things have improved since then idk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

You mentioned that they need a new TV as well as having to ditch the Sky box. I was recommeding a TV on its own, on the basis that it could be simpler for non techie people. I would say try it first, and if it is not working out add a box later.

I bought a Sony android tv with sat and saorview as ditched the sat but use terrestrial to view as i could be recording on box.

They don't need to do recordings from what I read. My combi box allow me to record terrestrial while watching satellite or vice versa. I can set a timer with various options to record as well, probably very basic stuff compared to Sky. There are lots of printed and online TV guides, and that serves me well enough as an EPG equivalent.

My TV is a LG OLED which I have had for years, but never even got round to plugging in the aerial or satellite cable to tune in channels. But I could see that as being a simple enough thing to do, and it would only need one remote.

The main reason I use the combi box is that I have a motorised dish, which can see lots of different satellites, and pick up satellite feeds. I think the LG would not be as straightforward for that, but I never tried.

Ah gotya.

The simplest replacement box would be the Manhattan SX Freesat HD receiver, less than €100.

I was just looking at that one today wondering if it was any good. https://www.freetv.ie/manhattan-sx-freesat-hd-remote-control/

Now that I think of it they will need one for the other room as well so would be an idea to start with that one and see how it works out before sorting the sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭munsterfan2

Hi,

Had a zgemma h7s for about 2 years now, performance has been mixed as it tends to hang quite regularly. I have change power supplies, reimaged, replace hdd. Replacing the hdd with an sd drive did lessen the frequency of hangs but I am getting complaints from the house about it. The funny thing is when it hangs it takes the whole network down with it and only way to recover is to turn off with the button at the rear.

Anyway, looking for a replacement and will use the existing box in client mode, I have 2 x satelite feeds and would like to have 2 x saorview feeds as we are getting quite a few clashes trying to record off Saorview. Looking for a box that can handle that. What would people recommend ?

• Advertisement

There are no boxes with twin Saorview tuners as not worth it but use Tv to view and box to record.

Yes been there with the clash of box freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

There is something badly wrong with the ZGemma H7S if it takes the whole network down. Maybe it is downloading the EPG and hogging all the bandwidth. Probably a hardware related given what you have tried. I have one myself and the worst I have seen is that it might hang for a few seconds but never impacts the network.

There are loads of boxes with Twin Saorview tuners but they are rarer in combo boxes as most don't need them.

I have the Gigabliue UHD UE 4K as well. Its a few years old now so there may be much better boxes avaialble now.

I bought the pluggable twin DVB-T tuner module so now have two inputs for satellite and two for Saorview. It also has FBC tuners that work well with Unicable giving you more tuners than you could ever need.

The Gigablue is more expensive than the H7S and the functionality is basically the same. In saying that, it never hangs or struggles with anything so is superior. If your network problems are bandwidth related, it may not help resolve your issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭swoofer

munster fan you dont say image and the version? have you dhcp switched off? Are you using lan cable or power line?

Have you more than one image? It has 4 slots.

And is the epg saved to hdd or usb? If internal flash it will kill the box.

There is a recovery procedure where you can start from scratch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭munsterfan2

It's been on my list to plug in a sniffer and see what it's doing when the network goes down it's what I do for a living so I really should. The box is connected via 1gb ethernet, statically assigned DHCP address. House is new so cat 6 back to the switch.

Software details. System OE: OE-Alliance 5.1 Firmware version: OpenViX 6.2.011 (2022-10-18) Kernel / Drivers: 4.10.12 / 20191123 I have the epg save to internal HDD ( a 1tb Samsung SSD ) EPG was set to save to internal flash, just changed it to hard disk. Hopefully that will make a difference.

Saving the EPG to internal flash is usually the source of crashes. Pulling down the whole network is a new one on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭swoofer

it may be too late but fingers crossed for you. If it does go wonky you could try loading a different image to another partition and the last resort is a recovery process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

VU+DUO 4K SE has dual Terrestrial tuners , only one physical connection on the DVB T module , but two DVB T tuners available to the system to record.

The whole box seems modular , the tuners slot into the back and there are two slots , and tuner modules seem to be available to buy.

I bought the box with two x FBC and two x DVB T.

Regarding the faulty Zgemma , take the lid of the box and check if any of the 7 large electrolytic capacitors near the rear of the box ( between hard drive bay and processor with the Heat-sink ) are swollen or leaking at the cross scoring on the top of them.

Pics show a H7s with the likely culprits ringed in red , and the other is what a swollen cap looks like , they should be dead flat on top , any swelling will lead to instability in the box.

Post edited by andy1249 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭trellheim

hiya I've got an Ariva 150 combo which I am thinking about changing - currently whats the best out there - looking at the things above they all seem out of stock - . Whats the absolute best to buy ? I'm only using freesat UK and Saorview. Be nice to be able to cast another channel to the computer as well while herself is watching the box

The Zgemma H7S is still the best bang for your buck at the moment. Any enigma based triple tuner box will let you stream a satellite channel while watching/recording another. Saorview is slightly more complicated because of the single terrestrial tuner. With it, you can only stream a channel from the same mux as the box is watching/recording at any moment in time. E.G. you cant watch RTÉ2 if someone is already watching RTÉ1. It is possible to buy more elaborate boxes with twin terrestrial tuners if that was essential but these are more expensive. A work around for this scenario is to use the TVs own terrestrial tuner to watch one Saorview while the box streams/records another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

Is there a combo box that will do 7 day now and next for Irish and UK channels and doesn't require regular retuning.

Ideally it could be controlled by a Sony TV remote.

Advertisement