Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get ethernet working in my house?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP, question for you if you don't mind. I believe you used one of these type of tools with your passthrough connectors

If so how did you get on with the passthrough connectors?

Someone bought me one of those tools and I've just tested it and was slightly underwhelmed. After making a few terminations I've got the hang of it but it wasn't quite as easy as I was expecting. If you were using that tool I can see how you might have got the cables the wrong way to start with as the diagram on the side for T568B is right for the RJ45 only because the RJ45 is inserted upside down into the tool when compared with all the standard T568B diagrams.

The RJ45 plug in the picture is the right way around for insertion into the tool however the way the cable order is normal show is like this

Post edited by The Continental Op on

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yes that's very similar to the tool I was using. I've nothing to compare it to so can't really say if the pass through connectors I used are any better than traditional connectors. It was a bit confusing knowing whether the wire order was looking at it from the bottom or top(clip side), maybe that's a challenge with traditional connectors too though. Anyway I definitely did find it useful being able to confirm the wire order was correct before using the crimp, a few times wires got crossed while I pushing them in so it was just a matter of pulling them back out and trying again until I got it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The order is always looking from the bottom where the clip side is the top. Thats why I think the sticker on the one I was given is misleading. Just edited the picture above as I'd posted T568A originally now its T568B which I intended.

I just found the passthrough connectors much more awkward than I was expecting. They worked fine but I'm far more used to the traditional ones.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement