Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best used car model under €20,000 ?

Options
  • 24-02-2023 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Opinions will vary and maintenance costs should be a factor. Name some of your choices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Depends what your looking I suppose but a Ford Focus is a great car if you want something good to drive relatively cheap and relatively cheap to maintain too the same with the Mondeo if you want a bigger car but if your looking for something like an SUV a Dacia Duster or a Kia Sportage are great cars too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,440 ✭✭✭✭elperello

For 20k you could get an EV.

Depends on what you want the car for.

Check out Nissan Leaf on Done Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Toyota Prius

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

I bought a 3 year old Focus last year and absolutely delighted with it, its a nippy little car and the newer models are a lot nicer than previous models too, is great on fuel too I get nearly two weeks out of a full tank commuting to work in Dublin 15 from Kildare every day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭User1998

You need to be more specific in your wants and needs .. there are thousands of cars out there for less then €20k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irelandjnr

There are not thousands of vehicles you could describe as the best used car under €20K. There's maybe fifteen or twenty cars in that group. I kept it open because I wanted to here a variety of personal opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I was looking at similar, but I opted for paying a bit extra for a new EV.

When I was looking, I had whittled it down to a Volvo S60 D4 (I like a bit of power). I also liked the Jaguar XE but I have heard bad reports about them, but they look lovely.

OK.

If you just say what mileage you are doing, what size car etc. it will be easier to suggest something.

Yaris, for example: too small. And no Jap import that is missing an immobiliser. Other than that I'm open to all opinions.

• Advertisement

OK.

Maybe a Corolla ?

Good luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Hyundai i20 or i30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

skoda octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Mercedes BClass - over 60mpg (diesel) get the automatic with 7 speed gear box not the manual, spacious for passengers, slightly bigger or similar boot of Golf or Focus - practical and a bit of luxury if you get the right spec along with elevated ride compared to Focus

[deleted]

Appreciate your suggestion. What’s the ride firmness like? I prefer a softer ride. And what’s the reliability of these cars like over time, and the maintenance and service and parts costs like? Those would be my primary concerns. I’m assuming given the Merc badge that maintenance could become quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’ve had a number of mercs and a very good indie mechanic - I’ve never had engine trouble with any of them - kept them serviced well and anything that needed doing got done. I used to commute a lot which meant mad amounts of pot holes and ramps which took its toll on things like shocks and springs but to be honest that’s like for any car but servicing something like a B class will be a lot less than say for an S class- it will be more like a golf or Passat in terms of servicing

Ride in mercs is traditionally very comfortable and no less so in the B class- great feeling of quality and luxury if you go for the leather option which many have - the biggest gripe I have is road noise and it may well put you off- it’s quite loud in a B class- my old merc was whisper quiet- so that’s really the only gripe but there’s such a feeling of space and airyness in the B class in the cabin and you have an elevated ride compared to say a golf or focus and A LOT more room for adults in the back if that’s a requirement

Note- DONT get the 1.6d - the 1.8d has plenty of poke, absolutely no problems overtaking and great mpg- the 200d and 220d rate a lot less on real world driving mpg on sites like honestjohn which tend to be quite accurate in my view - it’s the 1.8d that will give you economy with a nice bit of poke (diesel of course not petrol)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 yellowmellow2241

Bmw 330e 2017, Kia Niro 2017.

Advertisement