Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know the answer to this? ( susi grant )

Options
  • 23-02-2023 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭

Will try to explain this right, we are over by €249 to received susi grant for 2022 earnings , my son had a part time job in 2022 while still in school working saturdays and term holidays , amount €5249 for year ,this has push as over limit with my my earings plus my sons by €249.

Now if i am reading this right outside term time ,eg , easter ,summer, christmas working is deducted from earnings if in full time education and employed.

( now i know students already in college can work outside term time after €6000 and not effect susi grant this is not what im asking)

This is someone applying for susi now who was still in school but working part time last year.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭suilegorma

Do you have access to a pension plan or PRSA that you could contribute the amount you need so your earnings fall? You have until Oct this year to make a 2022 contribution so you would get a new whatever the P60 is now if you contributed for last year this year? Would that work at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

This is news to me thanks, have a uk private pension proberly wouldnt count, PRSA? not sure what this is, wonder where i could look into this more.

Shame to lose out on grant for €249,going to be tough getting him through college without it ,i thought it was just my wages taken into account for susi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'm in the same boat. Went back to college as a mature student after losing my job during covid.

Because of my partners wages, we were €300 over the threshold and told tough sh!t.

It's so demoralising a someone trying to improve their life. I got a part time job to get me off the dole when in reality I'd have been better off staying on it and getting everything for free. Now we have a maxed out credit card and a loan to cover the fees. Free education my ar$e

I totally agree with you, if i want my son to go through college why dont i just sign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭suilegorma

I would call revenue and whoever your pension plan is with to see if you can contribute and if it will reduce your 2022 earnings. Hope you get sorted. I would have none of what I have had I not gotten a grant. And its nonsense that student income is counted. We should be encouraging the hard work not penalising it!

• Advertisement

Just to update Susi contacted me today, quickest way to get reply seems to Facebook messenger.

Seems you can deduct the school holidays (2 weeks Easter, 12 weeks summer , 2 weeks Christmas) from the the total years pay as this was a part time job while he was still in school in 2022 for first time grant for 23/24, so this will bring down the over run of €249 to well under €5000 for the grant ,so hopefully will get it, big relief!

This might be of help to someone in same predicament , i will update this post when/if we get the grant.

Post edited by SCOOP 64 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Fantastic news. Best of luck to your son in college.

Advertisement