Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness draught 538ml

Options
  • 23-02-2023 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where the above are stocked?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm pretty sure that's Morrison's supermarket branding in the background. I'd say that's a Britain only release at present.

Not sure how 538ml is "perfect" for a pint glass either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I guess, allowing for head, there is less than a pint in a filled "pint" of stout.

Guinness are admitting that a "pint" of Guinness is only 538ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they were selling those here (i.e. the Republic) a couple of years ago, in slabs just before MUP came in. (can't remember if it was that exact size but it was more than 500ml and less than a pint.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

They usually only do the pint cans at Christmas for some bizarre reason.

Nitro surge are always pint cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It depends on the size of the head. I put the 568ml nitrosurge cans in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes before opening them, as I find they're not quite as cold as a pub pint when served from the fridge (my fridge anyway). Don't ask me how the science works but the colder the cans are the thinner the head is on them, after being in the freezer for that long the head is the perfect size to fill the pint glass and it isn't too small either.

If you pour the draught cans straight from the fridge you usually end up with a thicker head and a pint would overfill the glass. I would still prefer to just take a sip and then top it up again then them giving me 30ml less though, scabby pricks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Gases are more soluble at lower temperatures, hence the colder the beer is, the less gas will come out of solution to form the bubbles on top. It's the same as with an ordinary carbonated beer: there's loads more head if you open a can at room temperature than one which has been in the fridge.

Advertisement