Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Sportage Hybrid Vs Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Opinions wanted please.

• 23-02-2023 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm looking for opinions on the Kia Sportage Hybrid Vs the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid.

The Kia has the looks inside and out but the RAV4 has the reliability of the Toyota brand behind it and their experience with hybrid technology. Both are a very similar price.   On the Kia I see the rear passenger middle seatbelt comes out of the roof, that seems a bit crazy to me! If I had 3 passenger in the back does that cause an obstruction for the passenger sitting on the right of the middle passenger? I hope that makes sense.

I’d be interested to hear from owners of each car to compare them thanks.

All feedback is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

I can't comment on the Sportage Hybrid because I've never driven one but have owned 3 diesel Sportages - all excellent machines. I think they use a Dual Clutch set up on the Hybrids which I've never been a fan of in general - jerky gearchanges, slow to respond etc. The driving experience of the Rav4 will be much smoother and more refined in comparison. It's a 2.5 petrol and hybrid CVT carried over from Lexus and is super to drive.

Best advice I can give you is get into both cars and take them for extended test drives, ideally for a day and compare them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Yeah, sound advice alright, test driving both really is the best option. Thanks for the feedback sumo12!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Yeah would broadly agree with sumo12's advice. Would disagree on the dual clutch auto. Have owned and driven cars with this auto and find them fine. Certainly no worse than the VAG DSG set up and probably better. The Toyota CVT is great once you can get over what sounds like excessive reving of the engine on acceleration. This is deliberately set up this way for efficiency purposes but can take a little getting used to.

Also, back to your own post. True that Toyota have more experience in hybrid tech and have pioneered it. However, Kia/Hyundai aren't new to the game. They have had it in Ioniqs, Konas, Niros now for quite a while. In terms of reliability, you also have a much longer warranty with Kia.

Would happily own either and probably comes down to personal choice and the deal you are getting.

The rear seat belt issue in the Sportage, is a non issue for me. You can also switch on your rear view camera while driving if you need extra visibility with three passengers in the back.

Cheers for that Killer K. Gives me plenty to think about!

Here's what I'm talking about in the Kia with the rear middle passenger seatbelt 😁

• Advertisement

@Movie Maestro Did you get an opportunity to test drive both and if so, what are your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Mitsubishi Outlander had the same set up for the middle seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Check out Nissan's E-Power models also. No gearbox so a more refined drive.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement

Have seen it before myself but can't remember in what car. How did you find it in the Outlander?

I personally can't see this is a thing that would influence my purchase. It is one of those items that carwow have to highlight in their five things we like/don't like. Reflects well on the car if it is one that is highlighted as a dislike.

its 2 clasps on the belt, one that's smaller holds the belt down, then you, put on and off that belt the same as any other, if you want to haul something big, you press the button and it retreats into the roof, I just left it in the seat belt position, never bothered me.

Its 3 seat belts but 4 buckles, unless the passengers are crawling into the boot, its not going to bother them.

OP are you getting a normal hybrid? or a phev? the RAV4 phev is 10 k more, not really worth it IMO, the KIA difference is less between hybrid and phev, 3000 euro between them, for the K3, the k4 its 5500 euro, but now your nearly up to rav4 phev territory, with Toyota you have a 10 year battery warranty,

Have you checked out the Hyundai Tucson?

I'm interested in the self charging hybrid, not a PHEV. I've heard the Tucson Hybrid engine is not a great performer. Good point on the Toyota battery warranty, hadn't factored that in :)

The Tucson Hybrid engine and hybrid system is the same one used in the Sportage.

Should have known that tbh.

UPDATE: Finally got to test drive both.

RAV4: Nice comfortable drive. Unfortunately the interior seems quite dated.

SPORTAGE: Nice comfortable drive. A little less power than the RAV4 but not much. Great interior and tech.

Overall the RAV4 was more fun to drive but the Sportage is stunning to look at and has a great interior.

Would really like to hear from drivers of either to get some feedback 😁

Update: Ordered the RAV4 Hybrid (Sol), thanks for all the advice guys, looking forward to picking it up in July, hopefully I made the right choice 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I wouldn't have guessed that based on your previous post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

Hi MM,

Congrats on your RAV4!

What's the wait time for a brand new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭vimalandrew

Under every youtube car video, every auto forum, Kia public relations agents are posting like this: 'My grandmother used Kia soul, then Sportage then Nero, all great cars'.

But the reality is that Kia is a ****. after 70K mileage, it rips off. Engine starts knocking. Fuel drinking engine. So be careful. I can see that many people believe their stories and buy these cars. Customer should watch youtube channel, 'Exotic Car Play Place' before buying any car.

I always make careful studies before buying any car. so if you are middle class, always buy a Toyota. If you want luxury, buy a Lexus. You are guaranteed that for 20 years, none of the features in those cars break.

Toyota always come late. You could see very nice and modern interiors in Kia or Hyundai. For toyota you need to wait more than one year to get the latest model. For example RAV4 has outdated interior now. Then also, in Australia, customers have to wait 2 years to get a new RAV4. That much is the demand. I think the next version of RAV$ will come in next year. That would be a beauty beast and also the most reliable SUV.

The wait time for my new one is around 2-3 months but I was advised that there is now a major shortage in supply for the rest of 2023, but then again that might be just BS from the dealer 😉.

You are correct about the interior but the RAV4 is amazing to drive! A new body refresh is probably due in the next year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

I just received mine here in Australia. I was waiting 18 months.

I'm curious if this is just an Australian or global shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A neighbour has a plug in Tuscon 221 reg, the gearbox and brakes began to give trouble with it after 6 months and the gearbox eventually failed simultaneously, and were replaced/ repaired under warranty, I don't know the exact fuel economy figure for it but their unhappy with it and reckon it's no cheap to run than the diesel Santa Fe it replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I bought a Kuga phev last week after looking at the RAV4 hybrid

I've done 540km in a week with only 70 km of those on petrol.

Advertisement