Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

serious company doctor issue

Options
  • 23-02-2023 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Dear all

last year I have been diagnosed with empyema and then with sepsis. My company was not really helpful at all. Finally, they sent me to the company doctor.. But the company doctor in the report decided to hide information about sepsis. I informed about that my employer but it was ignored.

My health decreased recently, crazy things started like i got an accusation email from my employer and even a call with a verbal warning while on sick leave,,

The company now decided to send me to the same company doctor..

Can I select a company doctor by myself? 

Thanks for all help 

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hi OP I will be moving this to the dedicated Work Problems forum.

Grem

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

What help did you expect from your employer? A person gets sick and goes to the doctor for treatment as a result the doctor may decide it is not possible for you to attend work or need time to recover and issues you with a sick note. If your company provides benefits they pay you, that is all that is to be expected from the company, you individual manager would hopefully be more caring. If there is a question mark of your benefits the company may ask you to attend a doctor of their choice - more often it is the company insurers that require them to do this. The objective is to verify the situation, so I very much doubt being allowed to select the doctor will fly.

Did you discuss the company doctors report with your doctor, what was his response?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

An employer is perfectly entitled to send you to a doctor of their choosing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

OP I think try a local citizens advice office or your union should you have one. I think we here don't have the full information to state opinions any further than that.. Usually a company doctor is exactly that so you may seek a second opinion at your own expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Your attending your own doctor and sending your employer in certs confirming that your not available for work through illness.

I would advise also regularly communicating with them through email, if you feel well enough, stating that you continue to be unwell, you have another GP/hospital/clinic appointment next Friday etc etc and you will update them in due course.

Its not unusual for an employer to sack someone who has been out sick for a while on the grounds that even though a sick cert was forthcoming, they’d no idea if the employee was improving had any interest in returning to work or was ever coming back to work.

Your employer can, of course, invite you to attend the company doctor.

Your employer can of course sack you at any time and if you have been working there for at least a year, or there is clear absence of fair procedures, you can make a complaint of Unfair Dismissal to the WRC in response.

• Advertisement
Advertisement