Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours! How do ye get on with yours?

Options
  • 22-02-2023 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭

I'm quite lucky with mine, my next door neighbour in particular.

She's pushing 80 but is still lively, active and independent.

I'm living here nearly 15yrs now and in our 1st year my wife suffered a heart attack at home. I didn't know her then other than as a hi/bye next door.

When everything was going crazy in our house, paramedics and the usual onlookers, she came in and told me she was taking our son next door and tbh?

Even though he was only 3 at the time, I am forever grateful for her taking him out of the line of fire that day.

One of those moments when your world is falling apart and someone just appears and does the right thing at the right time.

It's a kindness I'll never forget tbh, indeed it's one I've mentioned here on boards many a time previously.

Fast forward to today, and I was stuck into doing a job for her. Fitting a wall mounted folding shower stool and she kept trying to feed me, pay me and then give me wine and anything else she thought she could fit in my hand as a thank you.

So anyway, long story short...

She's disinheriting her kids and leaving everything to me! 👀😉

No, seriously tho, I'm lucky enough to have neighbours who are decent skins and we keep an eye out for each other.

How's the rest of Boards getting on with theirs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,445 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've never had a problem with neighbours, always been lucky.

Does that make me the bad neighbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Most are ok. However there's 1 pr!ck who's nice as pie to everyones face but then talks about them to everyone else, thinks he owns the estate, try not to interact & give very little info, he doesn't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A few weeks ago my next door neighbour got really drunk, started screaming at someone in his house, smashing up the inside of his house and then threw a dresser drawer and a flat screen TV out the 2nd story window and onto my car which was parked on my drive.

So we're not on good terms at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The nearest neighbours are 400 metres away but we get on great. There's never any issues with neighbours around here and a great, friendly, helpful community of families of all ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Never hear from them. I think they are townies who moved to the country so don't really bother with the whole neighbour scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sorry to hear that. I do hope that at the very least your damages are at least being made good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

We get on grand and a wave now and again. Few words. Help themselves with heavy lifting and then have a cup of tea and talk rugby. Perfect neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Very well.

They never interfere in my life but are always there if I need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭standardg60

Mine are great, couldn't wish for better tbh. In my job i visit a lot of different clients and it's definitely a case that the more salubrious the area the worse the neighbours are. Very few of them get on as a pure result of snobbery. One client lives at the end of a narrow cul de sac and doesn't get on with two of the neighbours, one next door and one opposite. Working there once with a trailer on my van the opposite one kindly offered to move their car to give me more space, the next door one came out and berated me for 'forcing' them to move the car! I told them where to go.

People are mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

As an adult I now realise that we were the neighbours from hell when I was a kid. Original resident built a bungalow to retire in on a rural site. Nothing around him. Farmer next door starts dividing up the field next to him into sites in a row along the road, as was the fashion in the 70’s

My parents with 3 children under 6 and number 4 on the way move in next door. Very active family, always in the garden playing ball, cycling and shouting at each other. Original neighbour was an avid gardener. Must have been hell for him.

After a couple of years we bought a horse which was keep in the garden, front and rear. I think it may have stretched over the fence and eaten some of our neighbour’s shrubs at some point!

Dad planted a leylandii hedge in the 80’s. He only cut it in the late 90’s after a few complaints from the neighbour.

Dad also build a big garage/stable on the boundary with this neighbour. Flat roof, never plastered and in full view of his dining room.

As a kid, I just knew him as the cranky neighbour. As an adult, I can see why. My parents were inconsiderate **** as neighbours.

Poor bugger moved out in the early 00’s. The new neighbours had a real issue, and righty so, with my dad’s love of burning rubbish in the garden. Not the domestic rubbish, but garden waste, stuff cleared out of the garage, left over from DIY, old beds….

I know they reported him and he got at least one fine for it. He was forever more peeking through the hedge to see if they were gone before burning something. Pity he never got Court for it!

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 johnfrank1967

Get on well with all neighbours, one burns rubbish isn't there always one. I i wouldn't mind but he works for a county council.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Grand , there's a young Chinese couple on one side and a Polish family on the other side.Everyone else is from Finglas or Dublin city.

A few years ago a couple of young gentlemen started to abuse the Chinese couple over a couple of nights blaming them for Covid.

It all stopped when various blokes from Finglas were sent out by their wives to intervene , my wife sent me out as an observer only cause I'm from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I live on a small country road with a few houses. Neighbours are fine but we've little contact apart from the odd Helllo and brief chat.

We're not into popping in for coffee and don't have a group What's App!

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Ginger83

We've got lovely neighbours who would go out of their way to help you. All bar one wnaker but there's always one. As the neighbours say there's no good in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

I get on well with my neighbours because I live far away from them, the joys of living in the countryside

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The neighbors that live on either side of me are sound and tbh they're the only ones my family really interacts with on occasion in the neighborhood. Although there are other families who we'd say hi/bye to if we see them on the streets and we have no problems with any neighbors to speak of but that's as far as it goes with us. We barely know the families that live further down from us aside from maybe their surnames.

I live mostly in a quiet area so I can't complain though, I'm happy with the neighbors I've got although there is one neighbor a few doors down that seems a little stuck up but not so much as to cause too many problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I've got the bestest neighbours in the whole wide world . . Hi Dave & Jane 👋

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

nothing much to complain about.. two have certain idiosyncrasies which can be annoying, but they don’t go out of their way to be difficult or bad neighbours…

1) he’s got a legitimate hearing problem, works nights so when he comes in, gate slammed, doors slammed shut, window slammed shut, ohh and side gate bashed open with his bikes front wheel…. If you are just drifting off it wakes you or keeps you awake. He is a polite and courteous fellow, just a melt with the noise.

2) neighbour running a childcare business from home. Perfectly content with her clients parking across the gates of other residential properties and on corners awaiting the collection of their children…whilst she chats to them all at her door, she isn’t oblivious to it. To change the use of the property to a business whereby clients visit and spend time, significant time there you’ll need regulatory planning permission I read… it was never granted and in fact never sought.

this one is just a dick…

3) the man child…. Who has garden parties that go on until 4am, outdoor music, singing, shît breaking, roaring shouting… was in my year in school so he’s not a kid, or close, just a colossal silly dopey headed man child fûckwit…. The apple fell not far from the tree.

my thought is that there is a little more than alcohol fuelling the festivities.

no neighbours from hell apart from the party dude., just well, a couple that can be melts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Quiet, thoughtful neighbors. Mostly faculty, grad students, and young professionals. Can think and work at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

Lovely neighbours. Say hello and have the odd chat. Everyone is busy with their own lives. Work, farming, cars Elderly lady next door i call into every so often. English lady on the hill who doesn’t talk to anyone. Apparently she did years ago but took the piss asking for favours and fell out with everyone one by one. I did a few favours for her when we bought the house but after i siad i could’t do something she never talked to me again. Bizarre but grand. She doesn’t bother anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

A pleasant woman with two young kids and a gorgeous cat to my left and a very quiet middle aged couple to my right. I rarely see or hear them. I'm a bit paranoid that I'm the nasty neighbour on account of my yappy Jack Russell running out to the back garden any chance he gets for a good barking session (We keep him in the house, especially at night although he loves to go out the back during the day for a bark)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I live down a boreen which is down another boreen, only a handful of neighbours, most are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Live in a suburban area, lucky to have a broad mix of good level headed neighbours from various backgrounds, so no such thing as "blow ins, townies, culchies, outsiders" etc... Supportive of each other without being intrusive. Elderly were looked after during covid an are still looked out for, lots of child minding exchanges etc... there's a few who like to keep themselves to themselves and that's OK & respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

Interesting thread.

I live in a “posh” area. (God knows how I managed that)

Neighbours to the left have all the bells and whistles materially. You know the cars, the house, but only visit the property once a year or so. Not very friendly I have to say and not that intelligent. LONG STORY!

my neighbours to the right 400-500 meters away are an elderly couple. Absolutely fantastic. Obviously they have been blessed in life, but so down to earth, helpful and caring. Their kids live about 4 hours away, so if heavy lifting required they ask me. Of course, that’s repaid by dinners and anything that I may need help with. They are not intrusive just really nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I only see one neighbour, who is our ferryman. He is really kind and helpful; I ask his help ONLY in r

eal need, eg he delivers my shopping as I cannot get to the shops,, and anything I really need as I am all but housebound. It is knowing there is someone to help in real need that is the greatest help and respecting the helper

I knit warm hats for other neighbours..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Great neighbours overall I have to say- there’s just one or two who either like to give out about everything or like to gossip - the trick here is to listen to it all but give nothing away yourself 😀

Some people here mentioned elderly neighbours and how lovely they are- totally agree that in the main, elderly neighbours can be fascinating, great conversationalists and really with it in terms of what’s going on in the world.

We often have small meet ups in our houses- a bit of wine and nibbles or a late breakfast on a Sunday - we take turns and it’s costs very little but it’s always so relaxed-and always include our elderly neighbours in those meet ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I have an 81-year-old woman on one side, and a couple in their mid to late 70s on the other. The husband of the couple can be a bit of a head-wrecker but he's harmless and takes in packages for me from couriers when I'm not there, so I can't complain.

There's a woman (70-ish) a few doors up who sneaks rubbish into my (and other peoples') bins, which I can forgive except she always puts stuff in the wrong bins, like a plastic bag full of random types of material into the compost bin or recycling. 🙄 (I know a lot of people say that it all goes in the one tip, but let us make-believe for a bit... 😉 )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Brilliant neighbours on all sides. I live on a quiet country road near a crossroads and would consider all within a two or three mile radius to be neighbours. Most house have at least one person who is originally from the area but there are also quite a few people from different counties who bought or built in the area. All welcomed and considered part of the community and great banter if there's an intercounty match. Great to see all the different flags flying,often two different counties on the same house.

Great people who help each other out when needed,huge support in times of sadness and we have had some tragedies over the years. But also shared happiness and celebrations when someone or group has success in something .

You often hear people complain of nosiness in rural areas. Can honestly say that I have never seen that,just genuine interest and concern.

Couldn't wish for better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Have an absolute cnut next door, a separated/divorced with brats in tow, the "entitled and living the affluent life" type but feels that she/they are too good for the neighbourhood. Wants to be in D18 or similar but cant afford it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭brokenbad

We are "blow-ins" and live in a quiet rural area on a main road for nearly 6 years now with our nearest neighbours 500m away - a nice middle aged couple who were a huge help when we first moved into the area but they are not in your face constantly - but they always there if you need them.

Other neighbours on the opposite side further up the road i would only know from a wave in the car on the rare occasion i would see them. They keep themselves to themselves which is fine and i respect that as i am a fairly private person myself.

Like most modern families, we are a busy household with both working fulltime and always on the roads with kids activities, chores, etc so i wouldn't have time to be conversing with neighbours all the time - not like years ago when "rambling" from house to house on a daily basis was the norm.

Advertisement