Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Fanning leaving 2fm and moving to RTE Gold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I only ever listen to the radio in the car - I'd say a lot of people are the same. Hooking the phone up for short journeys is too much hassle and for longer journeys I put on Spotify. I don't think I've ever heard RTE Gold, I did put on 2XM occasionally when it was on DAB (which I do have in the car).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭GSF

How can you drive without Waze?? I’d be banned from driving without it. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 27,947 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dave Fanning has also been presenting music programme for Virgin Media from Whelans.

As long as he doesn't displace ABC to XTC on RTE Gold I'm ok with his move :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That's the thing with having a schtick......you're kinda stuck with it forever, even when you've outgrown it and it looks pathetic.

Of all the things that RTE have done down through the years, forcing Lottie Ryan onto the general public is the most egregious. A talent-less windbag who was given work based on her name alone instead of on merit, sure why wouldn't she stick with the "catty, yuppie, 'down with da kids' style guff" which has worked until now? What was annoying 10 years ago is just sad at this stage, though.

Hopefully this is the end of the family line in Irish media. It's not that long ago the RTE Guide had an article on Lottie, Babs and the rest of the brood's exploits every second time it was published. Someone in Montrose was trying to turn them into the Irish Kardashians.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,542 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

More of a podcast person when streaming than radio. I find the mainstream radio just plays same handful of music and its boring to be honest. I do like when a radio jock talks about the music and is knowledgeable about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,291 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agree to an extent but he's 66 and that'd be against him. How would you establish a new show on Radio 1 at any meaningful hour that people would listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Stripeyman

I enjoy Will Leahy's show as well, however I don't feel the newer tunes have any place on the station. In fact the reason I first turned to RTE Gold was to avoid hearing the likes of Ed Sheeran, Dermot Kennedy, Harry Styles and Meghan Trainor.

I understand that it's an editorial decision, but if he could just stick to playing older (and IMO better) tracks, his show would improve immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭RINO87

Didn't the Dave Fanning Show switch to Radio 1 there some time in the early 2000's and didn't go down too well?

I heard Dave fanning interviewing rob Trujillo from Metallica in advance of slane , he asked rob who was his favourite Jaco pastorious , the weather report, Joni Mitchell, or solo jaco. Rob sounded well impressed with that question 😂

It's not that it didn't go down well but the then management of RTE radio wanted 2fm to go order in 2009 so fanning was brought Back. https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2009/0818/418511-fanningd/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

I know it’s been days here that Dave sounds condescending maybe. There was a time many mokns ago that I thought he was a bit of a knob but then I met the guy when I happened to be in a TV show with him and my opinion changed instantly. He is a very nice down to earth guy and I’ve seen since if his ehelsns shows which are refreshing Beecher he doesn’t Ray do the shoebox BS and send to have a bit of craic taking the puss out of it all.

tgst RTE Gold line looks good now though. As for people being not too keen on him playing brand new stuff on Gold, it’s be a nice change. One thing that bothered me about the Paul McLoone show when it was on Today FM was that there was too much of playing the old indie classics a lot of the time. I remember thinking one evening while listening that with a few exceptions I would have heard the exact same show back around 1997. So I’d say 50:50 new vs old would be good and show Dave to do what he does best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I stopped listening to the breakfast show because of the amount of songs he plays from the last few years. I go to RTÉ Gold to get away from from those songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Roz Purcell and Emma Power are taking over the 12 to 3 p.m. slot at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Rte gold should take up 2fm spot and get rid of all those useless presenters, it should be on FM not digital

It's very easy to say that on radio forums but the reality is that RTE would never get ministerial approvel to replace 2fm with Gold, there would be massive lobbying from the independent local stations against it. RTE couldn't even get ministerial approvel to carry advertising on the News now channel due to lobbying from TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

He's incredibly knowledgeable about music. I've had a few casual conversations with him and the sheer enthusiasm he has for music is affecting. And he's interviewed everyone under the sun.

And now he's being replaced by... a model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

There's an 'interview'/press release on the Indo site with Roz Purcell and Emma Power.

Power reminds us three times in that piece that the number of followers Roz has on social media has nothing to do with her getting the gig, but all to do with her work ethic. Right.

I guess Roz's previous incarnation as a 'foodie' didn't work out. Pity, as we were forced to watch and listen to her numerous times on RTE etc. talking about that particular passion of hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭doc22

speaking of followers 2fm it has about 250k followers on twitter yet wouldn't have much more engagement on their posts than golds twitter of 5k followers. I do wonder in some cases if the followers are actually real or just bought bots ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Thought he’d get a “sign off” last show, he wasn’t on last weekend, but instead it’s just straight in with the new one. Shame.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

It looks like he was only told a few days ago that his show was gone. I always thought he'd get a big Larry gogan style send off, he was there 5 years longer than Larry after all

roz is the girlfriend of young Zack DESMOND and totally got the job on her own merit 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So they replace one departing host with two?

Way to save money Rte. Then again, sure they are flush with cash.

He really should have gotten a big send off. The man has done trojan work for Irish music and he’s one of the few actual presenters the organisation has which is actually interested in music. IMHO he’s a legend of Irish radio and deserved better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

I could do without the incessant ads on radio, and I do mostly listen to podcasts and playlists of my own choosing, but I also feel that you do miss out on that feeling of coming across something random that is way outside of your wheelhouse but you end up liking or loving when you're being fed by an algorithm designed to cater to your established tastes. Sometimes you want to find the thing you weren't looking for.

As an aside, regarding ads on the radio, there was an ad on it the other day which was advertising advertising space on the radio and the slogan was something like, "On radio, they can't skip the ads!". Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...

Roz Purcell I’ve kind of heard off but i can’t remember ever wanting to hear her taste in music or her opinions

Really WTF? I grew up in the 80s with 2FM presenters who had cut their teeth on the pirate scene and got the 2FM gig based on ability. Sounds now like if you have the requisite number of social media followers you too could land your own 2FM gig and don’t worry if you haven’t the ability, they’ll team you up with an actual professional and off you go.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I have an internet radio and I listen to 8 Radio. It's good, sort of picked up where TXFM left off. They play a good mix of things, very infrequently do you hear the presenters, there's no news / traffic / weather, and there's no ads. Plus the names of the songs come up on the screen so if something grabs your attention you can look it up.

That's what I don't like about BBC 6Music, or even RTE 2XM; the names of the songs / artists aren't displayed on the screen.

But yeah, so many memories of the Dave Fanning show. First time I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit was on his show, and the first play of every new U2 single. Remember the top 50 he'd do at the end of each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Let's also not forget that Dave Fanning was team captain on the original TV music panel gameshow - Number One. First broadcast in 1988, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Shazam is worth having on your phone for those times.

• Advertisement

i was a contestant on that show back in the day. I forgot Joe Elliott was a team captain. I thought he was a guest on the site I was on. I was on Dave’s team and I always thought he was just in it for the laugh but he was incredibly competitive. I think he jumped in the a lot of the questions as the round went in and we were winning. I jumped in for the final question because I knew it and the scores must have been close because I just remember Dave kind of gasping and the impression I had was “you better be right on this ya bollix!”, but in a good way, and I was and I remember him signing something for me and he added YOU WON!!! Great memories and a fantastic guy.

Advertisement