Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long between application and response: Council job

Options
  • 21-02-2023 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi there. I have applied for a few jobs with a local authority lately. Strong application, meet all the requirements, but i suspect thry will be sought-after positions, so may not even make it to interview stage. Nonetheless, they are on the back of my mind and would like hear one way or the other. Applications were in on their due dates of 19th Jan and 9th Feb.

Should I just forget about it? If they haven't replied now are they unlikely to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,727 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Response time could be anything from minutes to months!

Absolutely don't forget about them, it's early days. But don't hold ya breath either.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mtb_sends

@berrecka My experience was they acknowledged my application about three weeks after they got it, as I applied the week before christmas, so the holidays caused a delay there. It was then another 6 weeks before shortlisting was completed for interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭berrecka

Thanks guys. I did get an acknowledgement as soon as they were submitted. But it's nearly 5 weeks, with only a bank holiday to hold things up, not like the Christmas break.

Do they send PFOs if you haven't been shortlisted for interview, or do they just ignore you like they do in private sector? I have a feeling they have to advise either way, but could be wrong.

I'm thinking about contacting the person who acknowledged the application, just to see if invites to interview have been sent out

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mtb_sends

@berrecka They informed me that I hadn't been shortlisted anyway 😂. I'd imagine that would be common practice though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

What areas have you applied for? I applied for admin role application sent august, interview november and i start next week..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

It really varies so i wouldn't lose hope at all. It often takes weeks to organize the interview board before interviews can take place.

To give you an example of how these things can take some time-Between doing the interview and being offered a role was 1 year for me in a previous council role.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭berrecka

Thanks eveyone, I actually have an interview for this tomorrow 🤞. Submitted application on 19th Jan, interview on 28th March. I didnt think I was in the running given how long it had taken to get a response.

Now to nerd up on what to expect in these competency based interviews....

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dells35

How did you get on in the interview? I applied for the council the closing date was in Feb, I have heard nothing since. Did you have to do an apptitude test? Or was it just submitting an application form then interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dells35

Did they give you much notice for the interview? And was it online or in person?

Advertisement