Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny flat/ studio apartment

Options
  • 19-02-2023 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know what size living accommodation can be build in the back garden without planning permission. Our site is 3 quarters of an acre but my daughter would be interested in building something in the back garden if possible.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I looked into this before and not a lawyer, but from what I read if someone is planning on living in it then it has to have planning permission no matter what size it is. You probably won't get granted it either unless you have very good access for EMS services (fire etc.). This seems to be the main stumbling block. If you build it anyway and someone reports its being used for living space then there's a very good chance they'll make you tear it down. That's for a standalone building. If it's attached to the house then rules are different and it falls under the standard extension rules for PP.

I'm sure people do it anyway but it's a big risk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭phormium

As mentioned no size living accomodation can be built without planning permission, once someone is going to live in it rules change. Even for a granny flat it must be attached to house so not a standalone as such. 25sq m is the exempt size for garage/shed/garden room that are not for habitable reasons but it's not always the case either so would need to check local council requirements.

On a particular building page I am on a Galway poster is forever commenting that they needed planning permission for a structure (think wooden cabin thingy) that was under the 25sqm and to be used as a reading room but County Council insisted it needed planning.

Advertisement