Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Standert owners ?

Options
  • 19-02-2023 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I am looking at getting a standert triebwerk frameset to build up, will use for long spins, will be replacing a Bowman Palace 3c which is consigned to my trainer.

Wondering if anyone has a bike from them and any feedback on the quality of frames?

Have done a fair bit of looking around online and all seems positive.

Ta

Phil

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Was in the showroom in Berlin last month. Gorgeous looking bikes. Hard to justify the prices though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You'd easily spend 2k (and more!) on a high end steel frame though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

e.g. donard cycles in down (who admittedly make them to order, to your size) now start at STG£3,100 for a frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Was thinking 1899, while not cheap, is certainly less than other steel framesets out there, cane creek headset and a bb installed too.

Other option is a ritchey logic disc which is more reasonable at 1350 and by all accounts rides nicer.

Standert is nicer looking tho imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm not an owner but second that they look cool. I'd love one of these to replace my Genesis Equilibrium

• Advertisement

Only saw fully built bikes in the shop and mostly aluminium and the price tags were saucy I thought. Maybe I'm just twice-bitten-thrice-shy on the whole artisan bike manufacturer thing after Bowman.

-So, ah, maybe buy a Giant TCR instead 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Yeah...the bowman debacle has left its scars...funnily enough was in CCS to try and get a Defy but they couldn't even pre-order one!!

Mate got one last month through Hollingsworth Kilmacud. 105 di2. Very nice bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Have one on the way from Berlin. It's a Triebwork Mach 2. Absolutely fell in love with it when I 1st saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

How can people justify spending 1.5-3k on a steel frame even if bespoke when used genuine classic equivalents are available for half if not quarter(or less) the price and often (usually!) in better tubing .There are even manufacturers trying to pass off 4130 plain gauge steel as some kind of artisanal grade product admittedly more so on single speeds etc .The Standert Triebwork LOOKS fab but Id like to know what this 'Columbus "mix" ' of tubing is exactly .I cant see anything other than megabucks stainless steel 953/XCR significantly outperforming the late 90s 853 Claud Butler I bought last year for so little Id nearly hate to say (from a genuine seller in a very smart Sth Dublin suburb )Surely for most cyclists the correct choice of stem can cancel out most of the benefit of a custom build frame ?

• Advertisement

If I can pass it through the wife then it's justified! I wanted one! Have done for a long time. Yeah, I could have chanced my arm on a retro steel frame, that was made 50 years ago, but I've done that already and will probably do it again. The fact that I got a great deal through a pal that lives in Berlin makes it all the sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Underpinner

I was in Berlin last October for a couple of days. I went to their shop and tested the Ergeschoss stainless steel bicycle with Sram eTap AXS. Class bike. Handled really well, fast and lightweight. All their bikes are very well finished. Good luck with purchase. You won’t be disappointed.

I'm hoping to go over there before summer for a long weekend as I've been invited over by a company I did some contract work with a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd say a lot of it is marketing/ image. I have two Genesis bikes (recent with flat mount discs, thru axles etc) and they cost me less than 1200 for the two framesets (a Croix de Fer 853 ans an Equilibrium).

I'm not sure there would be any technical improvement by swapping one for a Standert. Would look cooler though.

Still considering one

Advertisement