Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New National FM station

Options

Comments

Ffs! As if there wasn’t enough yoof stations in Ireland! We need a Gold format station here like in the Uk which works and gets the advertising, it would work here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Infoanon

So a survey shows that 80% of people agree that they are more likely to listen to a station that plays music they like than a station that doesn't........

That the figure is only 80% is nearly as bizzare as the question.

What's RnaGs ratings for their youth music programmes ?, RnaLife listenership figures anybody ?, launching a youth station on FM in the future.....what could go wrong. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I know that Raidio RíRá had at least one temporary license run a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Which FM frequencies are they considering to cover the whole country? They would need a network like Today FM or NewsTalk. Or will it only be major cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ZaK23-54

I am a big fan of RTÉ Gold but..

it need more DJ’s

More Females

Sixties Show

Irish Bands

Why is it not promoted more by RTÉ?

it is a real Public Service station

• Advertisement

Before all that, there would have to be expressions of interest sought by the B.C.I. for a national station.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Because its not a real station.

It would have to be a full on national FM effort.

RTÉ are at a bit of a crossroads. 2FM is a jack of all trades and master of none.

If it were me, I'd go for a version of BBC Radio 2 for 2FM and take the yoof offerings almost entirely into into the digital sphere or best left to dedicated yoof music stations like Spin, iRadio etc.

Radio 1 should be news and current affairs heavier. I'd get rid of Tubridy from 9-10 and go straight from Morning Ireland into Today, with Louise Duffy from 12 to 1 and then a snappier magazine show for D'Arcy's slot, maybe presented by a new face. I wouldn't change much from 4.30pm onwards except maybe go heavier and later with Docs and Arts and classical or old timey or trad music and move Creedon to the new 2FM.

For 2FM I'd have a music and travel breakfast show from 6 to 9am , with a Nova style playlist and light hearted but not manic presenters, then Tubridy from 9-12 with a Gerry Ryan style show to capture Vox Populi, quality guest contributor and advice slots, personal matters, society and entertainment and star interviews and all that. From 12 to 3 I'd go full on 'Gold' music show with travel and news snippets. 3 to 5.30 I'd replicate Sara Cox's content, maybe a Garrihy / Zamperelli or Kathryn Thomas type deal, then Game On from 5.30 to 7. 7-9 give me Ed Smith type content, or live Sport as it arises, then Creedon to finish out the live programming. Best of highlights from Midnight to 6am.

From an RTÉ point of view that sews up people who actually listen to radio and what they seek at any given moment in two channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

Agree with the 12-3 show. Its only now that he's no longer around we realise how amazing Larry Gogan was a show of his Irk is definitely missing from the national airwaves. Although you could argue Damien Farrelly on Classic hits would fit that hole on a multi regional basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

So, in Dublin we would have Raidió na Life on 106.4, Raidió na Gaeltachta on 92.9 and 93.5 and potentially Raidió Rí-Rá on one or more frequencies. Not to mention the Irish language shows and news items on the other stations.

Seems a bit overkill... to me they are all just "ás Gaeilge"! 😏

Post edited by JDxtra on

This might be all academic anyway if there is no announcement made for expressions of interest in a national license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I agree. If they added a national Irish station, I’d like to see the need for Irish content removed from commercial stations, in Dublin at least.

Advertisement