Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Simmering anger

• 17-02-2023 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Not joking, but is there a real anger about the state of the country,that's just under the surface?

Over the last few months I've found people are very angry about the state of the hospitals, there is frustration that everyone has known about the problems for 20 years or more, but the crisis continues. People are dying because of the failure to sort it out.

I'm a bit insulated from it thankfully, but there does seem to be a lot of frustration around housing as well, rents in particular are very high. Something I hear a lot of complaints about is social housing, that people are getting near free housing while not working, while people working really struggle. There's also complaints that Ireland has taken in too many refugees, which I think is associated with the housing crisis.

As well as those issues there seems to be issues with capacity at every turn. School places are tight around here anyway, it's near impossible to get a tradesman, you can be waiting months for a dentist.

I think there's a very real weariness and frustration with the direction things have taken in the country. And this is at a stage where we have full employment.

Fianna Fáil and FG are going to get another pounding next time people vote, I'm convinced of it. And SF might benefit, which is strange enough given their recent past, but it's very possible that even more radical people could benefit. As a population we are wealthy but not at all content, I think we are far less satisfied with things than the UK was pre-Brexit.

In general we're not people for coming onto the streets but even since Christmas you've had people demonstrating against how emergency accommodation is provided and the poor state of certain hospitals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I must be lucky because everyone I know in Dublin are doing well and are happy in life. Then again I'm 42 and none of my friends or family have issues with housing as they already had places to live before the sh*t hit the fan.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance but merely simmering anger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't know would I describe it at anger but I find people are very tired of certain issues in life now.

Definitely amplified by social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yeah which is why i'm thinking of splashing out on private when i move home soon, both my parents have it luckily

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Pubs and restaurants around here are packed all the same.

We're not faring any worse than other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,252 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That's a point, however, it's now not become poorer in the accepted sense it's not going without food if they pay utility bills, it's pay utility bills and have less discretionary spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Give it time, always a lag effect with inflation and higher interest rates. And the Covid savings are taking the hit initially.

Disposable income month to month is down for the vast majority no matter how busy the pubs are.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The only simmering anger I see is on the interweb, mostly from people who feel society/life owes them more than they are actually entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We'll see but I can only go on what's happening and my own, my family's and my friend's experience and it's certainly not a source of anger. The internet has a lot to answer for.

I know the type you mean but it's not just them. It's people working hard but not paid enough to afford the stupidly high rents and energy bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The haves are happy, the have nots are not happy.

There is a real gap opening up in society here between those who are in cosseted sectors of the economy, whether that is public service, corporate roles, multi nationals etc, private businesses that are able to match inflation and the rest.

Who are the rest?, how come a divide didn't open up in the 1980s or 1950s when they really were the haves and the have-nots as well as huge unemployment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What makes you think people care what you say now?

Advertisement