Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir charging €5.99 for printed bill

Options
  • 16-02-2023 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

There are still people do not have a pc or have broadband and still receive a hard copy bill in the post. Eir now are charging €5.99 if they post the bill out to you.

I rang about my mother as she still receives the bill and has no access to a pc. I am living to far away to print it off for her.

You may not know if you are over 65 you can ask for an exemption from the costs. Eir will not charge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

I don't think they charge if you only have a landline.

When you go paperless, I read you can pay by cash in the post office, you don't need a direct debit with eir. Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

price of post these days I'm not surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

People over 65, landline only users and people with poor accessibility are exempt apparantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I agree, Ridiculous charge. Print and pop it in the post to her?

edit: Didn’t read whole post

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

They do and will do.

You can still pay in the post office but you have to log on and print off the bill yourself. The price is extortion.

• Advertisement

Will chat to her later. I am at the other end of the country and I know she likes have a bill as she pays in the post office within days of the bill arriving. Just thought I would give a heads up to those who could tell families and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lucan123

According to comreg, if the customer cannot receive an electronic bill, they must be issued with a paper bill free of charge

"Service providers may issue alternative billing mediums to their customers if they can guarantee that the customer can access and use the alternative medium. If they cannot guarantee this, they will issue a paper bill. Alternative billing mediums can include a bill being provided to you electronically (by e mail) or on-line.

If a customer cannot access the alternative billing medium, (for example because the customer does not have broadband access or cannot use an on-line service), the service provider must issue the customer with paper bills free-of-charge."

Source: https://www.comreg.ie/faq/what-formats-can-i-expect-to-receive-my-bill-in/

Just got a text about this. It's starting on 20th February.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I got a letter about this last October. Had to sign up for a direct debit to go paperless. I was already using My Eir but since then my bills have been a mess.

The January one included calls from October. I never got an email notification about this month's' bill. Checked My Eir and I'm being overcharged. The PDF of the February bill doesn't seem to exist on the system. Rang customer service and the rep had to resort to sending screenshots of it to me. Something about me being on the old system and they could not send the file as a PDF.

I'm disabled and was only holding onto the landline in case of emergencies, or if I will eventually need a personal allarm, but I think it may be time to look at other options.

Update. I rang about my mothers account and as she has an old plan they said she could not have the fee waved unless she was with Eir 25YEARS! As soon as I mentioned that this information was incorrect and I will call the regulator that they told me to ring

Eir Age Friendly on 1800 252 252. Called them and within a minute fee was waved. Please tell anyone over the 65 you can get the fee removed.

Should not have to jump through hoops. They know that older people are getting the phone allowance so they are pensioners and mainly over 65.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

And don't forget this is a €5.99 a MONTH charge as Eir is going over to monthly billing for all accounts.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Whats crazy is comreg allowing it despite their regulations.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement