Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KettleBell Purchase...

Options
  • 14-02-2023 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Any advice on what weight to buy for picking up a kettlebell?

I am new to kettlebell exercises...

I have weights at home and do lift dumbells....I lift 12.5 KG on each side for bicep curls - not sure if that helps in terms of providing advice for above....Obviously I am not super strong nor am I super weak :)

Appreciate weight would depend on what exercises I am going to do....Just going for some general advice :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I would always ask men to buy a 16kg if they have any training experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Curls aren't a very useful benchmark- what do you press overhead, what do you row etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kurooi

Stack one dumbell with weights and do a few exercises with it. A lot of them can be adapted with a dumbell instead, kettlebell is just a lot more comfortable. Find a weight you can work with that way.

I went to a lot of classes, mostly fit but not muscle builders, men normally do about 16-20kg. They'd push to 28-32 for sumo squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's individual centric. For example I do about 5 sets of 20 swings in the gym with 35kg bells however I would have more experience with them. If your new to them I would get 20kg kettle bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's not really a one size solution for Kettlebells. But really depends on the moves you'll use it for. 16kg and 24kg are typical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Asks for advice on the internet.

Is advised to go ask the internet....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Got 16KG just to play it safe....Comfortable with it....Get the feeling I could do more but have to start somewhere and might get something heavier later in the week....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I have kettlebells up to 40kg and I do tend to use the 32kg and 40kg for swings ... But I definitely started on the 16kg. For most beginner men the 16kg is fine if you're going to be pressing a lot and doing things like get-ups and windmills as well as swings and snatches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Declan T

Advertisement