Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Season - What ball will you be playing?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

When asked at a corporate day, Colin Montgomerie (I think) answered.

Q. “Colin, for the average golfer what is the difference between a lowish end ball at £1 and a high end tour ball at £4?”

A. “ about £3”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

For what it's worth there's a good article right now on the mygolfspy website relating to ball fittings and using the correct ball to your swing/clubs. Worth a read...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Kirkland ball pretty all of last year, great ball.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

I'm after buying z stars recently based on online reviews. How did you find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Good. I didn’t see as much spin around the greens as I wanted but it was mid summer with fast greens so harder to see. They’d still stop but every now and then I’d be surprised by a roll out. A handful of weird ball flights with 2 or 3 different balls (out of maybe 36/48) seemed off so I swapped them out and seemed fine then.

Decent durability, felt ok putting. Slightly longer than tp5 and prov1 with irons. Couldn’t get them at a much cheaper price then proV,tp5 so swapped back as I felt more confident with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭The Guru 123

I’m a scratch golfer and play/practice for at least an hour or 2 probably 5/6 times a week.

Just saying that to qualify and give a bit of context to what I’m about to say next.

I can tell the difference between a hard ball and a soft ball.

Beyond that there’s not a hope I could tell the difference between different soft balls. No way.

Of course when I’m practicing sometimes I’ll hit 2 drivers with different ball that both feel the same and one will go 10/15 yards further but I wouldn’t have noticed a consistent enough trend of any particular ball going further and most likely the difference is just I produced slightly better launch conditions on 1 of them or 1 got a firmer bounce etc.

Likewise around the greens sometimes a chip/pitch will check up faster than others but again I’d usually put this more down to my strike quality and the greens than any difference in golf ball.

Generally I find if I strike it right then the ball will end up broadly where I want it and using one ball or another won’t make much difference.

I generally play whatever (decent) ball I find or whatever soft golf balls are on sale. I’ve never bought Pro Vs in my life. Obviously have found a lot of them and seem to win a lot of them as prizes etc so it’s mostly them I play with but when I’m using any other soft ball I don’t notice any difference in my performance to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Any Pro V first and foremost

But if any high end from other makes come out of the bag that I've found, I'll play them.

Prefer the softer feel on the chips and putts

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hogie_l
    Hogie

Big fan of the NLU guys. Titleist has obviously been one of the top balls now for quite a while. Definitely want to try the brand new Pro V1 and 1x this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

elverys have the buy one get one half price but an additional 20% off using Patrick20 for paddy’s day.

I got 24 Tp5 pix for 78€

Post edited by skinny90 on

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Predominately pro v . On days with lighter winds I sometimes will play the x. I do see different flights between these balls so even with my moderate swing speed I do benefit from using these premium balls. Probably a kiss of death but lately i am wearing them out instead of losing them.🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 24 elgstring

I received 3 dozen pro v1s as gifts this year so that'll be my ball for hopefully the next while. On a separate note, Manhattan (yes the popcorn manufacturer) sell pro v1x 2021 for 46.95 euro - they must have a factory load because the offer has been appearing on my screen for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭boccy23

Good offer from Clubhouse Golf, 4 dozen for the price of 3:

Works out at €42.50 per dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

I have about 24 brand new Pro v's that Ive had for about 2 years which I have won keep saying I'll keep them for a special occasion and never use them 😂 Nothing worse than losing a brand new Pro V! I also have a box of seeds and seeve of TP 5's that will probably get used first along with about 40 second hand (finds) Pro v's 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sausages14

Do you still have your communion money as well?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Everywhere has the 4 for 3 now on premium titleist balls, it’s a titleist offer (although their site is about dearest place to buy them). Can’t go wrong with them at that price.

Advertisement