Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon

Options
  • 13-02-2023 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Arrived in Lisbon this morning and staying along the seafront down beside what seems to be their DOJ.

Seems a very nice functioning city, but the thing that jumps out, despite a massive police presence, is the number of dodgy characters on every Main Street.

I’m here with my family and I’ve already been approached 3 separate times to buy drugs, before 5pm.

It’s odd in that it feels reasonably safe, probably because of the huge police presence and its a Monday afternoon, but the hassle from dealers and street traders wasn’t something I was expecting.

I don’t particularly mind, just surprised me. Anyone else have same experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Try walking around Dublin - same thing.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Drugs have been decriminalized in Portugal. I was offered drugs a good few times on the street in Lisbon and Porto. Didn't get any hassle for ignoring them. Lisbon felt pretty safe when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mr j tayto

Was there a couple of weeks back. I found it ok to be honest, got hassled by a street hustler on my last day.....easily dealt with though. Aside from that nothing at all.

The red bus is a great way to see the best of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

Thanks for the comments.

I didn't know drugs were decriminalised here. They're obviously happy to just let them at it and focus resources elsewhere. Maybe something to consider back home if the place feels safe despite the dealing etc. We'd need similar police presence though.

I'll probably give the red bus a go later in the week.

Lined up to do the Oceanarium, Main Market, Boat tour, Torre de Belen & going to see Sporting on Thursday.

Any other tips welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Take a trip out to Sintra and do the 2 castles. A nice town to walk around and have lunch.

The light rail from cais de sodre to cascais is also a nice trip along the coast. A bit like the DART

Castillio Saint George in Lisbon. Eat in the back streets around the castle. If you go where the locals go, you'll get a nice lunch for a reasonable price

When at the oceanarium do the cable car but avoid eating in any of the cafes along the promenade. A tourist rip off.

There is a fantastic shopping area called freeport across the vasco de gamma Bridge. All the big name stores send their end of range there with serious bargains. Think kildare village on steroids.

• Advertisement

That's great stuff thanks.

You're spot on with Castillio St George. I sussed out the back streets on the way up and the 4 of us ate very well on the way back for €50.

Had the cable cars in as part of the Oceanarium but will avoid the cafes.

Hopefully get time to do the other suggestions but like the sound of Freeport. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Very different, i had the same experience in Lisbon. Being offered cocaine whilst standing out side Zara on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Try walking around Limerick , Cork , Galway , Louth , etc -same thing .....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Patser

Currently in Lisbon myself too, with family on a break.

Did the Zoo today - really, really good with a full on Dolphin show

Edit - think there was a warning no Dolphin show on Tuesday

Also did a sunset boat trip that was nice, but then again the weather today was great for February, tomorrow and Wednesday not looking as good.

Also worth jumping on the 28e (yellow) tram - the original old fashioned tram that goes from barrio alto Hill in the west to Alfama Hill in East with sll the churches and towers. Just rattle along and enjoy the views

• Advertisement

Sintra is really worth doing. There is a bus up to the castles. One built by the Moors which is a ruin and the Royal Palace with a fantastic tour of the place. A must for the kids. Walk up from the gates through the gardens.

Freeport if you have a healthy credit limit and room in your case. (lots of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I'd make sure to go to the Quinta da Regaleira if going to Sintra, it's beautiful and ethereal there, kids should love the grottos, caves and secret passages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Heading there in June, booked the accommodation today so saving this thread!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,997 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I got mugged in Lisbon a few years ago. I'm never going back to that tip

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Would recommend anyone to base themselves in Graca while in Lisbon. It is close to the city centre and is on the 28 tram which is a must do while in the city in its own right. That is a proper local neighbourhood, with an ageing population there. You won't be offered any cocaine up there! The local restaurants up there look cheap and cheerful but the quality is fantastic. You're close to the castle too and there are some great views of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭fm

My kids loved the pavilion of knowledge science museum,think we got the cable car down to it

Statistically Lisbon is a safe city, but I get OP’s point that there is a good smattering of drug dependent individuals. There’s enough entirely “normal” people to dilute them and I’ve walked the length and breath of it without a problem. The greatest hazard I found was slipping on the tiles. Lisbon‘s vast seaport & estuary area and its position at the west of Europe diagonally opposite South America means a fair number of drugs shipments get landed there.

Make sure to visit Estufa Fria in Parque Eduardo VII, it’s a wonderful extensive “Greenhouse” with several storeys in places. A must for any plant lovers.

Thanks for all the comments.

A few suggestions we had on the radar (Zoo / 28 Tram (now gracia included)) and a couple of things that we hadn't but are now definately on the table, time allowing, (Sintra / Quinta de Regaleira & Freeport).

Will definately check out Comer & Beber when down the market tomorrow evening.

I don't think anything being said above should put people off. It's a city, so for every downside you read there are thousands of good things you won't.

Hopefully this is useful for anybody else visiting this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pena Palace and the Moors battlements are a must see in Sintra. The aquarium is good too and make sure you do the Tram 28 trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I liked the Lisbon Oceanarium when i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭delboythedub

Get the train out to Cascais 30 minutes, lovely town and a lovely walk along the sea front.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Time Out is good for a lunch if it's quiet. We went of a Saturday evening not far off a year ago, absolutely mental (as expected, not my choice) and not enjoyable. Getting 4 chairs together was an achievement. Food was alright but very over shadowed by the sheer hassle of the place. I would imagine if the OP's going today, it'll be a much more pleasant experience.

We found the place very safe, worst bit was the dark walk back from Time out area to the streets around the hotel (the 7 hotel iirc). Quite a nice novelty eating sweet pastries on a city street at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

One of my favourite cities, been there around 4 or 5 times now. Being offered drugs on the main stretch of shops is quite normal due to decriminalisation but if you keep walking and take no notice there's no hassle. I never really encountered it outside that main stretch and square.

As others have mentioned, Sintra is a must do IMO, get the train there (about 40 mins or so) and spend the day. The tourist hop on/off buses that stop outside the station are a handy way to fit in a good few of the attractions, just try and get to Sintra relatively early. I'd recommend Pena Palace (for the views alone!), the Moorish Castle and Quinta da Regaleira. A quick stop at Cabo de Roca is worth it too, the buses stop there for approx. 10 minutes for photos etc.

If you have enough time, train to Cascais also worth a visit, more of a beach resort feel to it, so if you're looking for a beach day its worth the trip (although I'd recommend Sintra over Cascais if you only have time for one).

Its also been mentioned, but definitely worth hopping on the 28 tram and spending a bit of time in Alfama and grabbing a bite to eat and a drink in one of the little side street restaurants. The Timeout market is a good shout as well, loads of options and a big central area with shared seating. As theteal mentions though, it can be quite manic and can be hard to even get seats for 2 during peak hours but probably be pretty chilled before or after peak lunch times mid-week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tourist areas of Lisbon are far, far, far worse for being approached by scrotes than anywhere in Dublin.

Just avoid that bit of the city - loads of other places where it doesn't happen - even beyond the other safer tourist areas like Belem and out at the oceanarium; I went out to a brewpub in a tunnel in an area that you could best describe as being Meath Street and had absolutely no issues like that. Bar was good too.

The area around the main elevator and the tourist trams are pickpocket central too; just don't bother. You can get the 30s trams on the line out to Belem at certain times of the evening anyway; and the funiculars are more interesting, cheaper, quieter and less pickpockety than the elevator.

For someone planning a trip to Lisbon - why not try Porto instead? Would strongly recommend it over Lisbon - cheaper, cleaner, no real dodgy areas for tourists.

You reminded me.

Belem, St Jerome's cathedral and the cafe for a pasties de Belem and a coffee.

Go in the back for seating down past the takeaway counter.

There is also the tower at the sea wall. We'll worth a visit and climb up the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm wondering why I didn't get offered any drugs now. . . .

We went to see Idles play in the Coluseum (smashing sound in there by the way!) on the Friday of our trip, kinda place you'd expect some inebriated folk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Been there done that, and like SW, I highly recommend it. Then get the train across the bridge to the Statue. We got a ferry back after a fantastic fish dinner near the ferry terminal on the Statue side of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I was approached numerous times offering drugs but I just shake my head and walk on. They didn’t hassle me.

• Advertisement

It's even more fun driving across.... Its terrifying and I never get used to it. 😱 Lost count of thr number of cars on their roofs as them come off the bridge

I've eaten in those restaurants.

Advertisement